Samsung L2 Horticulture Strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I don't really like the spectrum of the Samsung strips, a lot of strains will take longer to finish with the heavy blue. They should have another spectrum option available.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:39 pm
I don't really like the spectrum of the Samsung strips, a lot of strains will take longer to finish with the heavy blue. They should have another spectrum option available.
Did you check out marines post on UV? i think in the general section. It's a pain in the ass, need to give some data to watch, but well worth it. Would love to discuss it with you after.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:49 pm
TEKNIK wrote:
Did you check out marines post on UV? i think in the general section. It's a pain in the ass, need to give some data to watch, but well worth it. Would love to discuss it with you after.
The link opened but I didn't see a video to watch, I am pretty upto date on UV use though. One reason I haven't jumped into it with LEDs is because I can't see below 360nm on my spectrometer and I don't want to sell something I can't see because I have no idea of lifetime. I will be buying a new spectrometer soon that can see to 250nm just so I can make sure of lifetime and performance. I do not trust claims of manufactures until I conduct my own testing. I have already planned how to implement true UVB in a room but I also want to take precautions as it can be dangerous to eyes and skin. By the end of the year I should have a good set up but I will still tell people to use with caution and to be honest it won't last as long as normal led products, I will know exactly how long they will last once I can see it properly.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:49 pm
TEKNIK wrote:
The link opened but I didn't see a video to watch, I am pretty upto date on UV use though. One reason I haven't jumped into it with LEDs is because I can't see below 360nm on my spectrometer and I don't want to sell something I can't see because I have no idea of lifetime. I will be buying a new spectrometer soon that can see to 250nm just so I can make sure of lifetime and performance. I do not trust claims of manufactures until I conduct my own testing. I have already planned how to implement true UVB in a room but I also want to take precautions as it can be dangerous to eyes and skin. By the end of the year I should have a good set up but I will still tell people to use with caution and to be honest it won't last as long as normal led products, I will know exactly how long they will last once I can see it properly.
yeah i've been checking 285nm diodes, and they only promise 10000h of operation. Also they are all seemingly designed for water cleaning, so they are mostly more powerful then needed. I found some 10mw diodes from Seoul, and was thinking of running 1 per 2x2 for a few hours per day..

In the research in that video they managed to get some serious increases in cannabinoids, and over 100% boosts in some terpenoids.
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & at 4 hours per day the 10,000 hours UV 285nm is over six years of use.? I am looking forward to see the modules they plan on developing. 10% more THC and terpene boosts of 100% plus is great.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It should require less than 10W total to cover a 4X4. It will require some experiments to get the formula right with these. A spectrometer is the only way to see what is actually going on. The spectrometer will cost me over $3000 so I won't make any money in the short term for working all of this out, other companies will sell anything without doing back up research but I won't.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

A cheaper way to see what is going on, is doing a side by side with clones and having them tested. Herw we have a couple of places which would test for free. So testing in a single 2x2 with one 10mw diode would cost 17$, vs 3017$ for the diode and a spectrometer. Finally the spectrometer can't measure the resulting biological activity, so all it would do is give a visual representation to something that should be calculable :D

Perhaps if I had a spectrometer, or some other way to measure output, I would develop this level of skepticism too, but the approach I took is that if I stick to the larger brands their gear will be pretty close to the promised output. I feel lucky that there are a lot of people out there with PAR meters, in general it seems to me DIY fixture output is pretty close to expectation. With commercial fixtures they seem to stray more from their promised output.

Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that manufacturer light calculators etc. do make output predictions based on calculations. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying since these calculators do ask so much data that I find them hard to use. IES files would seem to also aim for a platform that operates from predictability, although the visual data makes it more easy to relate.

The video was suggesting 0.1mw of radiation per cm2 with 285nm, or 1mw if using 310nm. I think he said that will provide 5x more UVB then we have at sea level, and a little more then high mountains. The lecturer said that in their studies a 10mw diode was enough to activate stress modes for a variety of spaces, but failed to specify space size. Could be he chose the example just because thats the power level provided by the SETI chip that sponsored the talks. Most other chips I found were closer to 40mw.
To me it seems that 285nm is bound to become a new standard in lighting fixtures, because it provides the opportunity to activate the genetic paths with 10x less energy then 310nm, thus affecting fixture efficiency way less.

I will certainly test with clones and judge from what it does to THC and terpene levels. In ICMAG there was an old UV thread, and I saw some claims that yield was reduced, so it will be interesting to follow that too. They were testing with reptile bulbs and higher power levels so I'm still hoping for a free meal.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Randomblame on RIU has done A lot of tests regarding using UV, he is someone I trust.

I still need to see spectrums regardless of the results, I need to see life times and be able to compare things properly.

Just like you guys want to see tests from manufacturers I do also bit my reputation is on the line if I sell something that isn't quite right and I like to be right.

My entire business is built on reputation and only reputation, I can't let anyone down.
Baudelaire
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

NIce UV banter, but to the topic, has anyone heard any more about the Samsunng L2 release? A lot of hubbub back in the fall, and crickets since....
Premium LED Lighting Solutions for Indoor Gardeners - SolStrip.com
Pazzo di Borgo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Finally, they're available(this is the one foot version):
https://octopart.com/search?q=B8R5C9H1AWW