3M permanent double sided tape

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
cjpelican
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

parthitis wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:09 pm
From the digikey page i'm seeing, the strips are listed as 24mm wide. Therefore I would recommend the 25mm tape so that the entire width of the led strip can be mounted onto the tape. It'll lead to better thermal transfer. When I mounted my strips, First I put down the thermal tape onto the heatsink, centering the tape the best I could on the U channel. Then I laid down the strip onto the thermal tape, centering it on the tape.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm in the middle of sourcing parts for a build with these 1' strips (can't seem to find any 1' F-series)and I was wondering if the extra 1mm of thermal tape that will stick out from under the strip matters or not? I'm thinking it might be a little difficult to trim away is all.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

that's perfectly fine... you just don't want to use like 3in tape and leave the inch on each side 😁
cjpelican
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Cool, that's what I thought but just wanted to check. Thanks heaps for the response
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

The thermal tape LEDG recommended works great! I highly recommend it! Be careful however... don't let your strip touch it if it is not positioned correctly. It's not likely you will get it off without damaging or bending the strip haha, don't ask me how I know.
fishsticks31
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

How long will this tape hold a rigid LED strip? I want to get the Aikenuo tape for a few LED strips, but I'm worried that it will fall off (and onto my plant!) in a few months or a year when I least expect it.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

fishsticks31 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:34 pm
How long will this tape hold a rigid LED strip? I want to get the Aikenuo tape for a few LED strips, but I'm worried that it will fall off (and onto my plant!) in a few months or a year when I least expect it.
Good question. Most people seem to think it’s a pretty damn permanent solution but I don’t know many people that have been running much longer than a few months.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

fishsticks31 wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:34 pm

Again (lol,) referencing the tape ledg recommends, it is stupid sticky. I well prepped a piece of aluminum for one of my strips and by mistake allowed part of my strip to touch prematurely.... BIG mistake. I tried to get the strip off for a few mins almost bending my strip into an L shape.... needless to say one of my strips has a road course worthy chicane in it. :mrgreen: :lol:

Here is another fun story pertaining to its stickyness... I taped the strips some time last week and the tape is slightly wider than my aluminum. So I folded the excess over the sides. Fast forward to yesterday when I was mounting my drivers, I was using a center punch to make sure my holes were aligned correctly. Well I ended up moving the fixture around to do something else before I needed said punch again. But I distinctly remember where it was beneath the fixture. I briefly thought when I looked for it beneath the fixture when I didn't see it, that it could be trapped beneath my driver plate. It wasn't. It wasn't on the table, wasn't on the fixture, my tool box, the floor, the walkway, I started to become frustrated. I thought I looked everywhere besides under Bigfoots D@%k!!

I get my flashlight and glimpse beneath the fixture and there it was!! So I AGAIN lift the fixture, and to my shock it was gone... again. :x So I look again and see what the problem is. It had stuck to a tiny portion of that Da%$ tape!!

Yes that crap is sticky. No I am never expecting it to come off! haha. Hope this helps, and gives you a bid of confidence.

hmm, one more thing... I have plenty of tape left, I could totally do a little weighted experiment if you would like haha :twisted:
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hahaha holy shit, that’s great. I would have been just muttering profanity to myself trying to figure out where the punch was.

I’d love to see some experiments on how sticky your tape is for sure if you have time and can you do me a solid and link the one you ordered here? I forget...
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
sweeper
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Sure man here it is:

Ceatech 30mm x 25m

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075F37SQG?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf
fishsticks31
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for that reply! I just got a roll of that tape and yeah, it's MEGA sticky. I don't think my COB will ever fall off!