Need help with a diy strip light.

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
korpsekreator
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I've never tried to wire anything like this before but I was curious if theres an adapter that your aware of that I could plug 4 of these into and wire to my driver or how I would go about wiring these to a driver, thanks for your help with these lights not many ppl know this stuff like you do.
Attachments
20190518_130212.jpg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Have have seen adapters around to do that, I would have thought HLG would have them, if you don't want to wait then strip the cable and use Wagos. Those bars don't seem to have enough heatsink to drive them hard. I am curious to see how hot they get
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
korpsekreator
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I found these but I wanna wait to see what jolly says before I buy anything.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190518-131913_Chrome.jpg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

korpsekreator wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 9:31 pm
I found these but I wanna wait to see what jolly says before I buy anything.
They are a different junction connector.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

This connector is used for high power outside led lights. I think the factory makes it with a wide range of cable options, but in general it should be rated higher then your needs.

I would imagine this would work for a parallel connection, but I think you are going for series?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
korpsekreator
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yes I want to wire in series, ideally I'd like to find an adapter that can be wired to the driver and I could plug 4 of the light bars into. I dont no the first thing about what i need or how to do it. I was using the hlg 320s before and their much simpler to deal with but it was also a complete kit and this setup with the light bars I have to piece together everything needed the only thing I have from hlg is 8 light bars and I'll be buying 4 more I've decided to run 12 in a 4x8 at 1200w total also the box the light bars shipped in has a very curious picture on the outside of what looks to be these light bars in a frame with a driver on top that the LEDs plug into basically plug and play
Attachments
20190518_234113.jpg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

korpsekreator wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:43 am
Yes I want to wire in series, ideally I'd like to find an adapter that can be wired to the driver and I could plug 4 of the light bars into. I dont no the first thing about what i need or how to do it. I was using the hlg 320s before and their much simpler to deal with but it was also a complete kit and this setup with the light bars I have to piece together everything needed the only thing I have from hlg is 8 light bars and I'll be buying 4 more I've decided to run 12 in a 4x8 at 1200w total also the box the light bars shipped in has a very curious picture on the outside of what looks to be these light bars in a frame with a driver on top that the LEDs plug into basically plug and play
Those bars are designed to run in parallel, not sure why anyone suggested to do it in series. Series is not needed in most cases, parallel is generally safer and easier to wire up.
I guess all the series builds are from old advice about different forward voltages causing problems. I have been in the led game for 13 years and always used parallel, I have never had an issue with a parallel built product and I have sold well over 100,000 meters of strip over the years.
Series connections can be dangerous also especially when boards are exposed.
LEDs now days are closely voltage binned so it's less of an issue than ever to run things in parallel.
korpsekreator
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hlg told me to wire in series, I dont know enough about this to decide what's right or wrong. My 320s are also wired in series per their suggestion. Maybe learning from you guys will help me have a better understanding of how this stuff works. I'm open to whatever, I just want to wire these lights up and get growing but make sure i dont have to worry about unsafe builds. I've been humoring the idea of cutting the adapter off the light and wiring with wagos but I'm clinging to the idea that I can build the system with a plug in style adapter for the lights. Everything else hlg sells is wired with wagos and makes me think that they have a reason for the light bars being built as they are with the plug in style ends.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You would need a particular adapter to wire it in series, I don't think you are going to find one easy. If you already have the driver then the only solution is to cut the plugs off and strip the wires back to suit your driver.
Maybe email HLG to see if they have the adapter but I am highly doubtful that they do.
korpsekreator
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I dont have a driver yet, so far the only thing I have are the 8 light bars.