Bridgelux EB Series Gen 3 datasheet just arrived

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
ViridisHC
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I tried emailing Bridgelux to ask a few days ago but haven't gotten a response.

I'm kind of torn as I just ordered a lot of the Gen 2 strips and now feel like I should have waited lol...
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yeah I did a prototype for a 40w veg light and a 3sq ft 'herb station', thinking I'd try selling them through the summer. Just hours before I pulled the trigger I saw the thread on gen3 and put everything on pause. Hands sweating here.

When the gen2 came, they were pretty fast at entering the market. There seems to be some weirdness surrounding this announcement from bridgelux, wasnt there some talk of the third and fourth generations being introduced almost back to back?

I already experienced that feeling of new gen products rolling out, so now I build my stuff in a modular manner, very easy to take an old light apart and recycle it. Keeping the drivers and the frame, and selling the old strips I don't think an upgrade would necessarily be expensive.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ViridisHC
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Good to know I'm not the only one. That is a good point though on building modular if the upgrades seem to come pretty quickly. Do you remember if they had a reason for possibly releasing Gen 3 and 4 back to back? Only point I could see in that is if they are doing some kind economy/premium pricing model. With Gen 3 being the economy model or something like that.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I basicly saw the claim on RIU, so I dont know about its validity.

Purely speculating, companies like this have huge R&D departments. For some of the research outcomes are semi predictable, and they will have people with some idea of where they expect to be in two product generations time. Some research is unpredictable, and thus it can bring a welcome disruption to longer term plans and time lines.

So my first intuition was that they have found something of real value, lets say a breakthrough in gen5 tech, that they expect to be able to produce a year from now, or at the time gen4 was supposed to come out. That might make them decide they will roll out gen 3 and 4 faster then usual.

But it might just as well be reacting to market developments or other companies.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Oh, and once you start getting into side lighting, its like a black hole, there is no end to how many strips you can put on the sides. When I upgrade I will probably just move old strips and hang them on the sides...
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:36 pm
Oh, and once you start getting into side lighting, its like a black hole, there is no end to how many strips you can put on the sides. When I upgrade I will probably just move old strips and hang them on the sides...
Haha that's exactly why I moved out of the grow tent for flower and late season lighting, ended up building a 5x4 plywood room to make hanging side lights easier and am building a sort of divider underside light. Indeed the rabbit hole turns into a black hole hehe
Last edited by HomerPepsi on Sat May 25, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I will have some new side light products in a few months to make all of this easy for everyone.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I've been doing some testing on different approaches, and had varying success. Some strains seem to give very good results with minor power, and others seem to need a bit more blasting.

Now I have a plant in a 3x3 tent. She has 225w on top, and 300w on the sides. For another smaller plant I put 50w of side light on one side, and 25w on the other, and they are all flowering fine.

I think its going to be super difficult to build a universal solution for side lighting, with plant heights etc. varying so much. One good solution could be to just have a driver per 4 bars, so you can activate side-lighting one ring at a time while your plant grows.

Also there are some control aspects, like how to control if the plant grows towards the side light, top light, or both equally... it can be controlled

:D
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 9:16 pm
I've been doing some testing on different approaches, and had varying success. Some strains seem to give very good results with minor power, and others seem to need a bit more blasting.

Now I have a plant in a 3x3 tent. She has 225w on top, and 300w on the sides. For another smaller plant I put 50w of side light on one side, and 25w on the other, and they are all flowering fine.

I think its going to be super difficult to build a universal solution for side lighting, with plant heights etc. varying so much. One good solution could be to just have a driver per 4 bars, so you can activate side-lighting one ring at a time while your plant grows.

Also there are some control aspects, like how to control if the plant grows towards the side light, top light, or both equally... it can be controlled

:D
I have it sorted, I just need time, time and money. Story of my life
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
BuddyColas
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 5:13 pm
Ah yes, so from 135 to 163... its still over 20%!
Yes, a bump of 20% is HUGE!
If the price is anywhere near Gen 2, they will be quite the deal.
Many are waiting for their availability.