F562B Build max lumens/watt

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
alexonfire
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Just trying to gain maximum efficacy and run them without a heat sink and closer to the plants.
I don't understand how you can get over 200 lm/w with the LM561C led diodes running them at 88ma but can't get the same when powering the F-Strip F562B with the same current per led diode. Why is this?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

alexonfire wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:41 pm
Just trying to gain maximum efficacy and run them without a heat sink and closer to the plants.
I don't understand how you can get over 200 lm/w with the LM561C led diodes running them at 88ma but can't get the same when powering the F-Strip F562B with the same current per led diode. Why is this?
The Samsung component calculator tells me you’d get about 180lm/w at 88mA.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
alexonfire
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:59 pm
alexonfire wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:41 pm
The Samsung component calculator tells me you’d get about 180lm/w at 88mA.
Ok right thanks!
I was always wondering how HLG was advertising 200Lm/W QB288 board but now occurred to me that that would be running them extremely soft. I would need to run the F562B at under 300ma per strip and that wouldn't make sense in real world application.
Screenshot-2018-3-3 QB288 Quantum Board(1).png
Screenshot-2018-3-3 QB288 Quantum Board(1).png (37.68 KiB) Viewed 919 times
I used the calculator on the 1st page for the F562B strips and I got the same.
I also just used the other calculator for the LM561C - couldn't adjust temperature
Screenshot-2018-3-3 LED Component Calculator SAMSUNG LED Samsung LED Global Website.png
Screenshot-2018-3-3 LED Component Calculator SAMSUNG LED Samsung LED Global Website.png (57.4 KiB) Viewed 919 times
With lots of air flow, what current could you run the F562B or any F-stripwithout a heatsink?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Use the "Ts" box to change the temperature.

Good question regarding sinks, but I think it really makes sense to run these strips attached to something for rigidity's sake, and it might as well be some sort of aluminum that can transfer heat. I have a 562 strip beside me - maybe I'll do some temp testing on it in a bit.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Just an FYI - the datasheets for the QBs and these strips have no common reference point. You cannot estimate the performance of strips based on the QB datasheet and you cannot infer the performance of QBs based on the strip's datasheets.

Their individual diodes are subject to the wiring schemes used in the design of each.

So there's no correlation between the output of a single diode on a QB at a particular amperage and a single diode on a Samsung strip, at the same amperage.

If I caught the gist of the conversation...
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
alexonfire
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

bvolt wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:32 am
Just an FYI - the datasheets for the QBs and these strips have no common reference point. You cannot estimate the performance of strips based on the QB datasheet and you cannot infer the performance of QBs based on the strip's datasheets.

Their individual diodes are subject to the wiring schemes used in the design of each.

So there's no correlation between the output of a single diode on a QB at a particular amperage and a single diode on a Samsung strip, at the same amperage.

Since they are both using the same diode I believe you can calculate a certain amount of data using ohms law from the specs of both. HLG has a "general guide" spec sheet
Screenshot-2018-3-4 General Guide.png
Screenshot-2018-3-4 General Guide.png (12.48 KiB) Viewed 901 times
For example:

QB 288 board internal wiring
18 in series
16 in parallel
159W max
3000ma max current per board

3000ma/18 in parallel = 187.5ma per diode
159w/3000ma = 53v per strip
53v/18 in series = 2.9v per diode

With regards to heatsinks; on their website "May require an Aluminum plate or heatsink if running 60+ watts. Heatsink requirements depends on application and power."
So if you look at their spec sheet 60W falls between 1050ma and 1400ma per board - lets use 1225ma
1225ma/18 in series = 76.56ma per diode

Using that information for the F562B which is wired 8 in series and 9 in parallel;
76.56ma x 9 = 689ma per strip would require no heatsink
Then using the Samsung engine calculator that would give us 15.4W per strip
Screenshot-2018-3-4 Engine Calculator SAMSUNG LED Samsung LED Global Website(2).png
Screenshot-2018-3-4 Engine Calculator SAMSUNG LED Samsung LED Global Website(2).png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 900 times
Im sure you could run the F562B higher with no heatsink if you have air gaps between the strips with lots of airflow and not all side by side like the QB288.
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

alexonfire wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:39 pm
bvolt wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:32 am

Since they are both using the same diode I believe you can calculate a certain amount of data using ohms law from the specs of both. HLG has a "general guide" spec sheet

Screenshot-2018-3-4 General Guide.png

For example:

QB 288 board internal wiring
18 in series
16 in parallel
159W max
3000ma max current per board

3000ma/18 in parallel = 187.5ma per diode
159w/3000ma = 53v per strip
53v/18 in series = 2.9v per diode

With regards to heatsinks; on their website "May require an Aluminum plate or heatsink if running 60+ watts. Heatsink requirements depends on application and power."
So if you look at their spec sheet 60W falls between 1050ma and 1400ma per board - lets use 1225ma
1225ma/18 in series = 76.56ma per diode

Using that information for the F562B which is wired 8 in series and 9 in parallel;
76.56ma x 9 = 689ma per strip would require no heatsink
Then using the Samsung engine calculator that would give us 15.4W per strip

Screenshot-2018-3-4 Engine Calculator SAMSUNG LED Samsung LED Global Website(2).png

Im sure you could run the F562B higher with no heatsink if you have air gaps between the strips with lots of airflow and not all side by side like the QB288.
Sorry - it seemed as if the comparison was being done 1:1.

I didn't realize you had made these comparisons. And there's quite a bit to consider before it all starts spinning out of control (as the individual variables that determine performance are not 1-to-1, as in current to flux, for example).

Thanks.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...