comparable strips to PLC photo boost

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Kink
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

My oversized heatsink, 7 strips build on an HLG-240H-1400B w/ a pot using these sun boards. + 4 strips on an HLG-150H-24A
0926201018.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UV LM301B/H Sun Boards: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264615911822/
EACH STRIP W/ UV Has:
  • 56 - Samsung lm301b LEDs in 3000k
    14 - Samsung lm301b LEDs in 4000k
    14 - Samsung lm301h LEDs in 6500k
    4 - 660nm Deep Red LEDs
    4 - 730nm Far Red(IR) LEDs
    2 - 385nm UV LEDs
    2 - 400nm UV LEDs
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    30mm x 400mm(approximately 16"x1.2")
    24V
    48w recommended max
    1800mA recommended max
    2 - DUAL CONNECTORS (easier to wire in series and/or parallel)
    2oz RA Copper
LM301H R spec Emerson strips (my favorite for veg or bloom): https://www.ebay.com/itm/174688713337/
EACH EMERSON STRIP HAS:
  • 58x Samsung lm301b 2700k LEDs
    16x Samsung lm301h 4000k LEDs
    16x Samsung lm301b 6500k LEDs
    4x 680nm Deep Red LEDs
    2x 700nm Far Red (IR) LEDs
0701201837a.jpg
These have been my go-to. The first vendor I linked also sells kits/heatsinks/pots/etc. Second guy has good prices but limited item selection, only one with black heatsinks that come with screws too. But they're just as big as the strip, the first seller's heatsinks are perfect size. Although I am loving my oversized heatsinks in my main and first build.

But these are much better than the photo boost strips because you're getting double the performance per strip in comparison.

Here's my current 2 month old - First time DWC plant under only 3x of the emerson strips at only 135watts:
Top view, hand for comparison:
0430211432b_HDR.jpg
Under/looking up view:
0430211431e_HDR.jpg
Stalk view:
0430211443_HDR.jpg
Root ball size (as big as a human head almost):
0428210834b_HDR.jpg
0428210834a_HDR.jpg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Kink wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:47 am
My oversized heatsink, 7 strips build on an HLG-240H-1400B w/ a pot using these sun boards. + 4 strips on an HLG-150H-24A
0926201018.jpg
UV LM301B/H Sun Boards: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264615911822/
EACH STRIP W/ UV Has:
  • 56 - Samsung lm301b LEDs in 3000k
    14 - Samsung lm301b LEDs in 4000k
    14 - Samsung lm301h LEDs in 6500k
    4 - 660nm Deep Red LEDs
    4 - 730nm Far Red(IR) LEDs
    2 - 385nm UV LEDs
    2 - 400nm UV LEDs
    30mm x 400mm(approximately 16"x1.2")
    24V
    48w recommended max
    1800mA recommended max
    2 - DUAL CONNECTORS (easier to wire in series and/or parallel)
    2oz RA Copper
LM301H R spec Emerson strips (my favorite for veg or bloom): https://www.ebay.com/itm/174688713337/
EACH EMERSON STRIP HAS:
  • 58x Samsung lm301b 2700k LEDs
    16x Samsung lm301h 4000k LEDs
    16x Samsung lm301b 6500k LEDs
    4x 680nm Deep Red LEDs
    2x 700nm Far Red (IR) LEDs
0701201837a.jpg

These have been my go-to. The first vendor I linked also sells kits/heatsinks/pots/etc. Second guy has good prices but limited item selection, only one with black heatsinks that come with screws too. But they're just as big as the strip, the first seller's heatsinks are perfect size. Although I am loving my oversized heatsinks in my main and first build.

But these are much better than the photo boost strips because you're getting double the performance per strip in comparison.

Here's my current 2 month old - First time DWC plant under only 3x of the emerson strips at only 135watts:
Top view, hand for comparison:
0430211432b_HDR.jpg
Under/looking up view:
0430211431e_HDR.jpg
Stalk view:
0430211443_HDR.jpg
Root ball size (as big as a human head almost):
0428210834b_HDR.jpg
0428210834a_HDR.jpg
Those strips look very strange, they dont seem to be functioning correctly. Does it have a strange pcb that makes some of the leds work at different current to others on the same string?
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Kink
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Those strips look very strange, they dont seem to be functioning correctly. Does it have a strange pcb that makes some of the leds work at different current to others on the same string?
I think you may be refering to my 7 strips in series parallel which are being ran at lower current (1400mah driver, 70-85% power on pot during veg), it's definitely dimmer compared to the HLG-150H-24A the 4 strips in front of the 7 were being ran from and I'm not completely familiar with yet when tuning it/wiring it to be honest :lol:. Otherwise I just attribute it to them being dimmed or something at the time of pic, like the one of the 7 array on the table.
greengenes
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

All I can say is those ebay strips are note close to a photo boost strip. Let alone "twice the performance per strip". That is literally impossible based on the components clearly stated by both options. 90 will never be more than 96. And because of the xpg3 current rating aren't limited to 48w like those cheap 680's and 700's. But If there is data showing otherwise please present it.

Photo Boost use genuine top bin samsungs 301B's and top bin Cree XPG3 660's. All verified and traceable components. Minor pain in the ass to get when they go out of stock, but currently plenty in stock. Housings too even for those not using photo boost.

_DSC4598-Edit.JPG
_DSC4660.JPG
Kink
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

greengenes wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 3:43 am
All I can say is those ebay strips are note close to a photo boost strip. Let alone "twice the performance per strip". That is literally impossible based on the components clearly stated by both options. 90 will never be more than 96. And because of the xpg3 current rating aren't limited to 48w like those cheap 680's and 700's. But If there is data showing otherwise please present it.

Photo Boost use genuine top bin samsungs 301B's and top bin Cree XPG3 660's. All verified and traceable components. Minor pain in the ass to get when they go out of stock, but currently plenty in stock. Housings too even for those not using photo boost.

_DSC4598-Edit.JPG

_DSC4660.JPG
Thank you for correcting me, Gene. I meant no disrespect to you, I was simply ignorant of the fact that there is indeed a difference between top bin and quality control versus the sunboard strips. While they have completely satisfied me as an alternative to your strips, and as an entry into this hobby, I've no doubt now that you're right in that 16 photo boost strips =/= even 16 of the ebay strips if the ebay strips aren't using top bin diodes. Although, the ebay strips are 96 diodes as well, so you technically are getting (on paper, anyways) similar specifications when comparing them to the photo boosts, while costing less per strip and having the modular ability to buy different variations of photo boost strips such as those with UV/IR in the same strip. Still, I'd again argue that the ebay strips are very much on par with yours, and that the owner of GrowDaddyLEDs likely getting his strips from a similar chinese manufacturer to yours, that the bins are similar if not the exact same in quality. But that is my assumption, I've no way to compare yours to them atm.

Here's with 11 ebay strips and bagseed.
Day 54 2.jpg
Mt. Bud.jpg
Manifold Cola Harvest day - Day 63.jpg
Manifold Cola 2 Day 63.jpg
Day 61.jpg
dont do it.jpg
Bagseed 2017.jpg
Color correct 2.jpg
greengenes
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Kink wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:37 pm
greengenes wrote:

_DSC4598-Edit.JPG

_DSC4660.JPG
Thank you for correcting me, Gene. I meant no disrespect to you, I was simply ignorant of the fact that there is indeed a difference between top bin and quality control versus the sunboard strips. While they have completely satisfied me as an alternative to your strips, and as an entry into this hobby, I've no doubt now that you're right in that 16 photo boost strips =/= even 16 of the ebay strips if the ebay strips aren't using top bin diodes. Although, the ebay strips are 96 diodes as well, so you technically are getting (on paper, anyways) similar specifications when comparing them to the photo boosts, while costing less per strip and having the modular ability to buy different variations of photo boost strips such as those with UV/IR in the same strip. Still, I'd again argue that the ebay strips are very much on par with yours, and that the owner of GrowDaddyLEDs likely getting his strips from a similar chinese manufacturer to yours, that the bins are similar if not the exact same in quality. But that is my assumption, I've no way to compare yours to them atm.
A lot assumptions.
To be clear... PLC products are made in the USA. Between Pennsylvania and California all work and assembly is done. Components purchased through official and authorized US channels and business entities.

90 whites on ebay, 96 in photo boost
4 low power 680nm on ebay vs 4 high power 660 cree on photo boost
cool on the low power 700nm on the ebay...that's it, but no SPDs or test to verify any performance of the ebay specs.

I don't care what you use, what ever works for you. I'm here about factual info, not pushing products. But please stop talking about products you clearly are not versed on if you are going to make claims like that. Stick to what you have and do.

Nice buds, enjoy.
Kink
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

greengenes wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 1:40 am
Kink wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:37 pm
greengenes wrote:

_DSC4598-Edit.JPG

_DSC4660.JPG
A lot assumptions.
To be clear... PLC products are made in the USA. Between Pennsylvania and California all work and assembly is done. Components purchased through official and authorized US channels and business entities.

90 whites on ebay, 96 in photo boost
4 low power 680nm on ebay vs 4 high power 660 cree on photo boost
cool on the low power 700nm on the ebay...that's it, but no SPDs or test to verify any performance of the ebay specs.

I don't care what you use, what ever works for you. I'm here about factual info, not pushing products. But please stop talking about products you clearly are not versed on if you are going to make claims like that. Stick to what you have and do.

Nice buds, enjoy.
Thanks again for the corrections, and apologies for making an ass-u-me. Stubborn headed but will admit when I'm wrong, looks like I gotta get some PLC gear to try out. :D
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

The Specs of Cutter PR Boost Strips are almost 100% Comparable to the PLC Photo Boost Strips... but the %SPD of both are missing from their websites. ;)

Cutter PR Boost Strips
"PR-Boost 2835 w/Cree XPG-3 Deep Red
500 mA , 35.66 V, 17.8 W, 2.98 umoles/J, 53.13 umols
700 mA, 37.0 V, 25.9 W, 2.84 umoles/J, 73.55 umols
1000 mA, 37.26 V, 37.26 W, 2.68 umoles/J, 99.85 umols
1400 mA, 38.30 V, 53.6 W, 2.52 umoles/J, 135.12 umols"

PLC Photo Boost Strips
greengenes
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

PeteR_1 wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 3:40 pm
The Specs of Cutter PR Boost Strips are almost 100% Comparable to the PLC Photo Boost Strips... but the %SPD of both are missing from their websites. ;)
Here is the latest at 1400ma
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.27.01 PM.png

And of course they are close...Mark copied PLC down to the name and lay out. They cheaped out on the white with those cree's though.
Mark has rubbed a handful people and companies in the industry the wrong way and is burning bridges faster than the germans.
Salmonetin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

...Thanks... post moved...
Last edited by Salmonetin on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.