Need help with a diy strip light.

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

korpsekreator wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 9:52 am
I dont have a driver yet, so far the only thing I have are the 8 light bars.
Ok so you will need a HLG480-36 A or B type if you want dimmable.
I would just cut the plugs off and use Wago connectors for the rest.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
korpsekreator
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

This is the driver they recommend, I emailed asking about a device to connect to the driver so I could just plug the lights into the driver that way but they haven't replied.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190520-144113_Samsung Internet.jpg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

korpsekreator wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:41 pm
This is the driver they recommend, I emailed asking about a device to connect to the driver so I could just plug the lights into the driver that way but they haven't replied.
I don't know why they suggest that driver. It doesn't add up for me.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Are you running 6 or 8pcs? Also how many watts do you want to each bar?
Maybe I missed understood something.
I thought you wanted 60 watts per bar and 8 bars total
korpsekreator
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I wanna run 12 bars total at 100w each solit up by 3 drivers
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

korpsekreator wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 pm
I wanna run 12 bars total at 100w each solit up by 3 drivers
I think they will run too hot @100W each, did HLG do operating temperature tests on those bars? It really looks like they are lacking in heatsink.
My suggestion would be a HLG320-36A, this will give you about 90W per bar once you turn the current adjustment up to full and run them in parallel.
If the bars get too hot then the deterioration will occur much faster and within 6 months it will likely loose 10% output. Make sure you have a fan blowing over those bars also to help keep them cool.
korpsekreator
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So I have questions lol, first I'm thinking I'll buy 8 more of the light bars and wire 5 of them to the 480 driver so that I dont run them to hot, but I dont know about parallel or series wiring. Why would a person want to wire in parallel vs series? What's the difference in the 2 and why is 1 better than the other? Also fluence makes a light bar fixture without a heatsink as well gavita all the light bars that are prebuilt fixtures dont seem to have a heatsink so I'm unsure why I'd need to worry about 1? Sorry of I ask a stupid question sometimes ignorance isnt so blissful
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

korpsekreator wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:58 pm
So I have questions lol, first I'm thinking I'll buy 8 more of the light bars and wire 5 of them to the 480 driver so that I dont run them to hot, but I dont know about parallel or series wiring. Why would a person want to wire in parallel vs series? What's the difference in the 2 and why is 1 better than the other? Also fluence makes a light bar fixture without a heatsink as well gavita all the light bars that are prebuilt fixtures dont seem to have a heatsink so I'm unsure why I'd need to worry about 1? Sorry of I ask a stupid question sometimes ignorance isnt so blissful
Fluence and gavita both have chunky heatsink, the bars from HLG seem to have very little heatsink.

Parallel is safer due to lower voltage, less chance you will have a major issue if one of the bars fail.