Large DIY Strip Build Questions

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
$am
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Got it. I'll call on Monday and if the price matches with the 80 cri strips I'll probably grabs some and let you know. There's a 6 week lead time on all of the strips through digikey so I'm planning on ordering this week.
Labgrown
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I've had success just using the online chat function, in regards to discussing special orders.

This all being said are you planning on getting the actual EB 3's or the EB 3 slims. I believe the price point is very comparable but the lengths are slightly different. Unfortunately I am a tent grower I am afraid that slims may not fit in my tent over head. I'll still take some slims off your hands though for side lighting and I know they will fit in at least one of my tents.

If your planning on running the strips bare I'd argue you could run the regular EB's slightly harder due to their increased surface area, yet they aren't on aluminum PCB's so im not sure that increase SA is all very relevant.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I know the price would a bit higher but why don't you guys see what discounts cutter will give on 100 strips?
You wouldn't need to buy heatsinks with the wider profile version they make, they also have a better forward voltage than the bridgelux strips.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Labgrown
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

teknik SHHHH im trying to get some custom ordered bridgelux strips here...... plus who wants to deal with customs...
$am
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I’d have to double the number of bars to reach the same total wattage with the standard gen 3 strips vs the slims so double the heatsinks. I guess I could use aluminum angle instead of heatsinks at the lower total wattage but this is my first build and i’m following the green genes setup so I don’t think i’m ready to work out the no heatsink route. I’m not sure it’s the most cost effective route anyway. Sorry bud.

On the bright side, cutter doesn’t seem likely for me. Outside of being more expensive, they have a ton of options but not enough data available for me to feel comfortable with a decision. I couldn’t find data sheets for all of their offerings, which was one of the things that dissuaded me from the alibaba route also. They might have them available but I’d have to do a ton more research. I’d be all ears if there’s a better option from cutter for what I’m planning than the EB Gen 3s though.
The_Mouse_Police
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

That is a general problem. They're scrambling just to get these out there and make a buck, and data sheets on some LEDs are either outdated or hard to acquire at all.
$am
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

That's the impression I generally got from their site. Not saying they don't have quality products but I over analyze buying decisions - particularly of the magnitude I'm considering so it's not seeming like a good fit.

Labgrown: unfortunately, the good people at Digikey tell me that the 90 CRI strips are not available. So 80 CRI it is.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Data sheets take time and by the time you make them a new and better led is out.

I help cutter out at times and test products for them but I don't have the time at the moment to test my own products.

If they sent them to a lab to test then it would be a huge outlay considering all the products they have and then the prices would have to increase to cover it.
If you are serious on a big purchase let them know so I can test it and give you the data as feedback.

One thing people misunderstand is most data sheets are inaccurate.
Cree and bridgelux aren't too bad, usually if you want to know what the real results will be for Cree and bridgelux look up the LED's on the website and deduct 10% for mid powers

For Citizen and luminus devices COBs you can deduct upto 20%

Never trust any sphere test comming out of China ever, they are always a mess and often over 30% out.

A proper lab can do the testing or someone with a similar machine to mine, it's the only way to know for sure.

Then we have binning and that changes all the time but that's another story
$am
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK, I am definitely serious about the large order but I wouldn’t really even know where to start since they have so many options. At the end the of the day, i’m really just trying to build the best product I can within budget but I’m not really particular about the little details.

To the point of testing though, if you don’t have any bridgelux strips, I’d be willing to send you one or two after I make my order if you can test them and make the files available? It won’t help me in particular but it’d be helpful for the next guy to be able to make a par plot before they buy.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

$am wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:08 pm
TEKNIK, I am definitely serious about the large order but I wouldn’t really even know where to start since they have so many options. At the end the of the day, i’m really just trying to build the best product I can within budget but I’m not really particular about the little details.

To the point of testing though, if you don’t have any bridgelux strips, I’d be willing to send you one or two after I make my order if you can test them and make the files available? It won’t help me in particular but it’d be helpful for the next guy to be able to make a par plot before they buy.
Cheers mate, but the freight costs more than the strips for you to send them to me. I will buy some soon but I have been too busy lately.
I am heading to Hong Kong on the weekend and may find some other new products for you guys while I am there.

I will order some bridgelux strips as I want to test them for myself anyway. The pricing they have seems too good for the performance. Not that it can't be done but it's a matter of doing it and making a profit.