Series / Parallel Risk / Reward EB strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

Horst wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:48 pm
And I meant temperature difference between different strips......
Thanks for the reply.

Temperature difference between Strips also would not typically be a result of wiring in Series or Parallel it would be due to variations in individual Strips or varying heat dissipation due to their physical location within the fixture.

Edit;
After reading several more past discussions of "Series vs Parallel" it has become apparent that it's the "Safety of the LED" not the "Safety of Humans" that's usually in question.
Its a fact that Series Circuits will inherently protect the LEDs, they have a fixed / limited current that is usually matched to the LEDs' maximum required current and will shutdown / fail whenever the series circuit is broken or damaged.
Horst
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thx also.

It’s a complicated topic. Is the current of 700ma or 7000ma current not a relevant difference in human risk in your opinion?

I am still thinking about the 60vdc limit of the strips. Is Blx making themself a small foot or is this really relevant? Am not sure......
Cutter for example

https://www.cutter.com.au/product/ssk-1560zge-50299nic/

„Drive 6 in series with a hlg-320-c1050“

Are that completely different pcbs?
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

Horst wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:24 am
Thx also.
It’s a complicated topic. Is the current of 700ma or 7000ma current not a relevant difference in human risk in your opinion?
I am still thinking about the 60vdc limit of the strips. Is Blx making themself a small foot or is this really relevant? Am not sure......
Cutter for example
https://www.cutter.com.au/product/ssk-1560zge-50299nic/
„Drive 6 in series with a hlg-320-c1050“
Are that completely different pcbs?
You're welcome.

IMO its not complicated, just has many relevant variables. For your example you have to also consider the "Voltages", 700 mA at 300 V is a much higher potential human risk than 7000 mA at 12 V...

The 60 Vdc "Rating" provided by Bridgelux may be relevant to the physical properties (Ratings) of their PCB Strips. The Cutter PCB strips will have their own specific Volt and Amp ratings, which are not listed. 6 Strips in Series is 288 Vdc which may be appropriate to their (Cutter's) Strip Ratings...
Horst
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Yes I think it is complicated. U are pretty sure with your point but there are other people rating the risk(high current) very different.
But I don’t know the „truth“...just other arguments making more sense to me personally.

I would never wire above 60vcd if i would think it is a real limit. But tbh I think they write it in the datasheets cause they DONT care.
They dont have to test or guarantee anything and (some) people will kill their leds after short time when driving them at Max in parallel. I read this many times.

It doesn’t make sense for me that the strips have a 60vdc limit (same limit for slim and normal strips???) and others have no problem with 300vdc. Cobs are very similar from what know.
But everyone have build own opinion on that.

Most important for me out of this discussion is that nothing is without risk when dealing with hundreds of watt.
Being really careful is the point...if u wire parallel or seriel.

Greets
Horst
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

@PeteR_1

I got a question. Am thinking about driving strips very low at 233ma for example.
There are not much driver options. Would it be possible, put 2/3 strips together to be one big strip wired parallel....and then wiring all big strips serial at a 150w c700 driver? ( 3 parallel x 10 serial)
I didn’t read much about that, problems waiting or is that an option?

Greets
PeteR_1
LED Tinker
LED Tinker
Reactions:

Horst wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:11 am
I got a question. Am thinking about driving strips very low at 233ma for example.
There are not much driver options. Would it be possible, put 2/3 strips together to be one big strip wired parallel....and then wiring all big strips serial at a 150w c700 driver? ( 3 parallel x 10 serial)
I didn’t read much about that, problems waiting or is that an option?
Greets
The short answer is Yes, an -C700 Series type Driver with 3-Parallel Circuits will have ~ 233 mA on each Parallel leg, with 2-Parallel circuits it would be ~ 350 mA each. And most commercially available LED Strips are already wired in Series/Parallel Circuits, so the quantity of Series Parallel Circuits at the "Strips" would be per the Ratings of the PCBs, based on resistance, voltage drop, etc.

But to get the total 150 Watt output the voltage would have to be in the Driver's Rated / Specified Voltage for "Constant Current Range", i.e., requires an adequate quantity of LED Strips to reach the rated Vf.

Similarly for an HLG-150H-xx (non adjustable) Parallel Driver you would install the adequate quantity of strips to get the desired 233mA at each LED Strip at the Driver's max output, or you would select an adjustable Parallel Driver (Constant Voltage) and adjust the Dimmer or Io pot to get the desired 233 mA (Watts) at each LED Strip (Total Driver Watts divided by Strip Quantity)...
Horst
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

😅u really like the parallel drivers buddy

For me I don’t need/want an adjustable driver. I make a plan how much light I want for the space...calculating over and over😂.....and then it will run this way.
It’s better for me and the system cause I would ever have the next idea.
Also it’s not possible to mix different strips on one driver with parallel. I will have three or four different strips plus one or two monos at the end. I wanna build a veg channel and a flower channel.
Am pretty sure to go with serial driver cause of that.

I had a good convo with an inventronics seller who explained to me what the product names stands for so I can compare them with meanwells.

30 strips for 150w.
3 of them parallel x 10. 11 is possible too but I need an even number and will fill up with monos near to the 214v. Same limit for meanwell ELG-150-c700(ab) and inventronics EUG-150S070DT.

Greets
raf
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Current in the order of miliamperes can kill you if it flows through your body. Its not an easy answer, because the path the current flows thorugh your body . 75 mA is enough to fibrilate your heart, and if someone isnt close to aid you, you may die with such little current. But below 50V, if you are not wet, your skin is intact and dry, the current would run through your skin, and you may no feel a thing, despite the amount of current in the circuit. So, honestly, if one thinks in worst case scenarios, the system shouldnt have voltages superior to 48V, and in that case you could fall into your light, schizophrenically bite the wires, and yet nohing would happen to u. If you are over that voltage and you touch two poles with differentials greater than 50V, you may die, since as the current flows from one arm to the other it goes through your veins and heart and nervious system, even if the system has a current as little as 100mA.
Engineers double isolate their circuits taking into mind every malfunctionning posible, but well, 99% of us just cant. So we have to be extra carefull, especially taking into mind that most homes in many countries doesnt have a proper grounding scheme.
What im not sure is how much dagerous is 80V to 150V at same wattage, voltages are still fair low to create a voltaic arc i believe.
Anyway, probably these days switching drivers have different protection measures in case for example an unwanted voltage goes to the heatsink, it shorts, or something like that.

BUT

As there is differences between voltage drops of different led strips, running parallelled may distribute heat uneavenly. I m sure there are fixes for this though, some sort of current detector circuit or potentiometer or little resistances in series with the strips to make the all work at same voltage, you would loose some efficiency though for the resistor/pot heat dissipation. Or one could choose to use a constant voltage driver and make the interconnection between strips dictate the current. I still dont understand why people states some leds are for current drive and others for voltage drive.

Best of Luck with your light bro!