(F series -canceled) Vesta build with side lighting

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i like the idea of doubling the strips instead of using heat sinks. at 25% i don't think they heat up too much. but u still need something that holds the strips together while allowing airflow around them.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

tazztone wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 am
i like the idea of doubling the strips instead of using heat sinks. at 25% i don't think they heat up too much. but u still need something that holds the strips together while allowing airflow around them.
Thats why I was ranting about the whole Finnish wood build, and how good wood looks in warm light. 8-)

With 15 acres of forest, and a couple of buildings full of all kinds of clean cut material for maintaining the buildings, wood isn't something I need to go buy. Already cut about 50 trees last month for next winters fire wood.

I even have a woodworking room with tools acquired over 4-5 generations.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

maybe u could just attach both ends of the strips to still allow airflow around them?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Thats exactly what I was thinking... maybe 2mm per end would be enough. One oscillating fan on top.

It seems the wooden build is confirmed. There is one last chance as a friend has a friend who has an aluminium factory here is Finland.
I'm starting to warm up to this idea though. By the time I'm done i will be able to count the ROI on this, so I think we will be able to count the ratio where heat sinking vs adding strips starts making sense...

Were having a crazy hot spring here. Weeks of around 20c days and 6c nights. Still cant put stuff in the ground, as we can get frost till June. Yesterday visited a farm near here, and found 5 more varieties of tomatoes, some long bell peppers, some more chilies, pumpkins, and a variety of cucumbers, to add to my summer collection.

only perhaps 4h of dark now so its getting hard to sleep, and energy levels are slightly manic.

I had moved my phenohunt to an outside building. Today had a peek at dark cycle, and realized the timer has blown.... I might have just reveged my plants for 3-4days at the 6th week of flower. :shock: I think I'll give them a very long night to compensate...
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The gear just arrived. So exited. But need to order more tonight.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

My god they didn't waste space on these boards. With the wires right there, and maybe 1-2mm space at the ends I'm wondering if I won't be forced to find a way to hold them from the sides.

Can't find the laser temp meter, and want dimmers, so I'll be forced into town anyway.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

A new day and everything changes. Spent the morning setting up a greenhouse someone sent me as a late birthday present. Then someone gave me a bunch of 55mm alu channels they had left over. So heat sinks it is. But I will still run the side lighting without them, since they will be 12.5% nominal.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So I just talked with my brother, who is usually my goto guy in any computer matters. He was laughing at me for wondering if I should use arctic silver or tape. He said the only funtion of the sticker would be attachment, and if I can attach with screws, I don't need the sticker.
If I don't need the sticker, I can skip my trip to town, and just get to work on the lamp. Does anyone have opinions? Can I attach it with screws from the 'zhaga compatible' points? Can I skip the thermal compound/ sticker?
tazztone
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

tape:
lower heat transfer than paste i guess
easy to work with
once it's taped it's hard to get off again tho.

screws are harder to work with and u would still need thermal paste to bridge the micro gaps.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:21 pm
So I just talked with my brother, who is usually my goto guy in any computer matters. He was laughing at me for wondering if I should use arctic silver or tape. He said the only funtion of the sticker would be attachment, and if I can attach with screws, I don't need the sticker.
If I don't need the sticker, I can skip my trip to town, and just get to work on the lamp. Does anyone have opinions? Can I attach it with screws from the 'zhaga compatible' points? Can I skip the thermal compound/ sticker?
As tazz said. The screws leave gaps between the strip and the heatsink. Thermal tape, thermal adhesive, or screws and thermal paste is recommended.
NothinYet is my nickname