Led strip build (EB gen 2)

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
JaDo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi

So I am growing some marijuanas and I want to add a led strip build. I've read some of the guides but am still confused about some stuff I need some help with. MY Growspace is 150x75 CM ( roughly 4x2 foot that is, I believe, so I want around 450W))

First off I ordered 20x Bridgelux EB gen 2 (3500k) from Digikey

(Bridgelux BXEB-L0560Z-35E2000-C-B3) They are 56x2.4 cm each.

Next thing I need is a driver, which is where my problems kick in. I live in Europe (Switzerland), meaning I have a 240V input from my plug. Therefore I was looking at a Meanwell HLG 480h 24a which I thought should work. I was, however, told, that I might be better of with a LRS series driver, since they are cheaper but not waterproof. Now I am unsure what would be the best (and most price efficient) driver to run my 20x strips.

Then the wiring. I initially thought I would/should wire in series (seems simpler) but was told I should wire parallel. Depending on that I need different items.

Also the heatsink think confuses me a bit. On/r/microgrowery I was told these strips need no heatsink, so a simple aluminium frame with thermal adhesive tape should suffice, however on here I have read about people using heatsinks for their bridgelux.....what do I do?

Lastly I'd like to thank you for your time to read through/answer my questions

yours sincerely

JaDo

Edit:

could someone also recommend me a suitable wire from amazon?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Hi, and welcome.

Normal recommendations for power in a 2x4 would be around 240w (30w per m2), so your aiming for pretty high intensities. Are you planning on using co2?

Meanwell also has a series called elg, which is also worth having a look at, its cheaper, but as efficient. I don't think it has a 480w model though.

People seem to advise against wiring series as a general precaution. They seem to think stoners should not play with dangerous things.

The need for a heat-sink is related to how hard you drive them. If you drive them very soft, you would not need one. It seems you plan to run them pretty hard though...
I did a bunch of tests on bridgelux vestas first without heatsinks, then with minor fanning, then with heatsinks. The heat started building quickly as I ran them harder.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
JaDo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Do you have any idea of the breaking point, meaning the point from which on I'll need a heatsink??

Also its more like 5x2.5ft than 4x2.

Lastly, if its safer I'll wire parallel then. I like to avoid anything risky...

thanks!!
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Once you get to 200+ volts with series wiring of is pretty dangerous. Wiring those strips in parallel will be pushing only 48-50v. That isn't saying that high amperage isn't dangerous as well though, but each strip will be lower in amps.

Hlg, and elg drivers will work well if your electricity costs are higher. I think driving the strips 50% and above require some kind of heatsink. Around 50% or so aluminum angle will suffice. Around 75% is where finned heatsinks come in handy. This is from the research I have done. If you are in a sealed room you may still need to vent the heat from leds.
NothinYet is my nickname
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Sdfoster22, what would be 50% for 560mm gen2's?

So finally its about 37w per ft... very good.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 pm
Sdfoster22, what would be 50% for 560mm gen2's?

So finally its about 37w per ft... very good.
50% would be 700mA at 19.5v which is 13.65w. Or nominal.
NothinYet is my nickname
JaDo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I would wire parallel then. How about 20 strips driven by a MW HLG 320h 24a...would I need a proper heatsink..?

Also about the aluminium frame: should I use a plate or angled like in the guides on here?
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Yep
I suggested you to not use a proper heatsink because you are going to use aluminium angles/channels as frame and this will work as heatsink.
Get U channels

Below 700mA it is not needed to use an heatsink (1.4A max for 2ft) given proper air circulation.
JaDo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

awesome, thank you!!

sorry for coming off as noobish now, but at how many mA would I run the 20 strips with a 320W driver?

my calculations gave me 667 mA which would be perfect from what I have understood!!

lastly is there a specific driver you would recommend?

for simplicity I so far looked into the MW HLG 320H 24a but since I dont need a waterproof driver I think I could find a cheaper one..?

Thanks for the help provided already!!!
JaDo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

sdfoster22 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:22 pm
Once you get to 200+ volts with series wiring of is pretty dangerous. Wiring those strips in parallel will be pushing only 48-50v. That isn't saying that high amperage isn't dangerous as well though, but each strip will be lower in amps.

Hlg, and elg drivers will work well if your electricity costs are higher. I think driving the strips 50% and above require some kind of heatsink. Around 50% or so aluminum angle will suffice. Around 75% is where finned heatsinks come in handy. This is from the research I have done. If you are in a sealed room you may still need to vent the heat from leds.
I have figured now that a 320W driver would be suitable. My last question now is: is the HLG 320H 24A suitable?
I am confused because it says Voltage 21 - 26 V but the strips forward Voltage (whatever that is), is 19.5 ...