Driver matching for H inFlux strips

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Wiesgart
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi everyone,
i'm planning to build the following setup:

Six Samsung H inFlux_L06 strips (wired in series) and a Meanwell HLG-185H-C1400 driver.
The constant current region of the driver is specificated from 71V to 143V.
The operating voltage of one strip is supposed to be 22.4V at 55°C and 1430mA. --> 6*22.4V=134.4V

As the operating voltage of the strips will be higher when turned on / running them at lower temperatures, i'm skeptical if it will stay in the constant current region of the driver.

Can anyone tell me if it's gonna work that way or do i need to change the driver / wiring?

Thanks for your help ;)

Last edited by Wiesgart on Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Nobody can say for certain. There is a voltage tolerance of plus or minus 5%. The only way to find out is to try it yourself. You could always get the a or b version of the driver and dial the current down, which in turn dials down the voltage. Also the A versions usually go a little above max voltage rating.
NothinYet is my nickname
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I think you'll be totally fine, considering Samsung's data sheet test current is practically the same as yours. You have a fair bit of leeway before you hit the voltage max on that driver so I think you're good.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Wiesgart
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'm glad to hear that. As i'm aiming to use the driver mostly at 150W i don't wanna use the HLG-240H-C1400 for efficiency reasons. But it would also be annoying if the driver would fail to light the strips up at maximum power.

I think i'm gonna try it that way and report here if it works. Thanks for your help!
Wiesgart
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Everything worked fine for me with the strips i've received 8-)
Zillard
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I hope you guys don't mind me jumping on this thread with my own questions.

I want to get 6 of the H-Influx strips with the double LED count, each have a 44.6V fV, and draw 44.6W at 1A.

Which is better, running them all in Series, or having 3S2P strings? Am i correct in saying that if i go 3S2P setup, i can use a smaller driver as the max V is less then 150V?

Please recommend a driver.

Thanks guys, looking forward to your replies.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Zillard wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:02 am
I hope you guys don't mind me jumping on this thread with my own questions.

I want to get 6 of the H-Influx strips with the double LED count, each have a 44.6V fV, and draw 44.6W at 1A.

Which is better, running them all in Series, or having 3S2P strings? Am i correct in saying that if i go 3S2P setup, i can use a smaller driver as the max V is less then 150V?

Please recommend a driver.

Thanks guys, looking forward to your replies.
the connectors are rated at 300v.. I really only recommend staying between 200-250v max when doing series.. so I would use dual hlg-120h-c1050b 's.. 3 strips on each at test current.

for your 3 in series then 2 in parallel, a HLG-320h-c2100 would do it.. the 3 series voltages add up to 88% of the V max.. and the two parallel will roughly split the 2100ma to just over test current at 1050ma each strip.( parallel world they never split even)

as for which is better.. 6 of one, half dozen of the other... 😁 technically the 320 driver is more efficient ( 94% compared to 91%) but then, if something ever did happen to one of the 120's, you would still have some light until you could get it fixed/replaced.. just a single 320 goes, your out of luck until you can fix it. 😁
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hi,

I run 2 strip builds on HLG-185H-C1400B drivers of F-Series gen 3, 6series at 1.4 amps, vf23v and system voltage of 138v. Wired with a 100k ohm pot. Works awesomely. The last little bit of the pot near max has no effect. So the dimming starts at say.. 90%.

Very cheap setup, and am growing big plants :D and oddly enough, I'm looking at h influx right now as well for another build. I am surprised that more people aren't using these. I wonder about the spectrum...
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

What are your thoughts on the spectrum?
How come your surprised more people don’t use them?
I’m a Bridgelux guy. Just curious.
HomerPepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:56 am
I am surprised that more people aren't using these. I wonder about the spectrum...
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hydrofood wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:41 pm
What are your thoughts on the spectrum?
How come your surprised more people don’t use them?
I’m a Bridgelux guy. Just curious.
HomerPepsi wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:56 am
I am surprised that more people aren't using these. I wonder about the spectrum...
Hey Hydrofood,

Just based on a rudimentary calculation and whats available from digi key. Using the same driver as OP, and doing calculations on lumens per $ cost. I might need to adjust my perspective here, as I made these calculations based on current knowledge, but am no expert and probably left out some other variable.

I currently run F-Series gen3 23v in two 6s separate series with hlg-185h-c1400b's, but have a surplus of the same drivers and want to build another set up with dedicated color temperatures (for my F series build, I went with equal number of all four temps - which has worked very well, no complaints). So I was looking at originally at a EBgen2 build, but the Lum/$ amount is the lowest, with the lowest total system lumens, BUT they have manufacturer posted spectrum. I have no problems with the Samsung diodes, and know first hand they work but I don't understand why they don't release that information. (perhaps I am short sighted and not considering business). Q-series were ruled out as the Lum/$ does not make sense right now, esepecially if the H inFlux use the same LM301B's.

Bridgelux also has cheapness and coverage (more strips) as quality's when comparing what is available right now. Why do you prefer bridgelux (if you have a hard or soft preference even) out of curiosity?

As for numbers with the HLG-185H-C1400B, I came up with:

14 EBgen2 2ft strips 7s2p @ $149.24 CAD (not including Canadian GST) - Total lumens 34398 @ 191.1watts @ 230.49Lum/$

28 EBgen2 1ft strips 7s4p @ $175.00 CAD (not including Canadian GST) - Total lumens 34398 @ 191.1watts @ 196.56Lum/$

3 F-Gen3 46v 2ft strips 3s0p @ $131.22 CAD (not including Canadian GST) - Total lumens 34969.2 @ 193.2watts @ 266.49Lum/$

3 H inFlux 44.6v 2ft strips 3s0p @ $140.85 CAD (not including Canadian GST) - Total lumens 35965.44 @ 187.32watts @ 255.35Lum/$

Other possibility would be to build the same same 2ft fseries gen3 build I already have, but where is the fun in that :P

6 F-Gen3 23v 2ft strips 6s0p @ $143.58 CAD (not including Canadian GST) - Total lumens 34969.2 @ 193.2watts @ 243.55Lum/$

Let me know what you think. Did I work this out right?
Cheers,