Removing wires from led strip connectors

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Wondering how easily I can get a wire out from a bridgelux strip. One of the fast attachment points already got ripped of during my build, so I feel they are quite feeble. Is it safe to remove wires from them?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
H0m3B0Y
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I used 0.75mm2 solid core wire (somewhere between 18 and 19 AWG), and it was quite easy to remove when the little metal thingy in the connector is pressed down (quite firmly I might add).
If I didn't press it down hard enough, I would probably rip the connector from the strip, it holds the wire really really well.

This was with EB Gen2 560mm strips (BXEB-L0560Z-35E2000-C-B3).

P.S.: I also press down on connector when inserting wires. I tried without pressure, but it felt like something was going to break :?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Like H0m3B0Y said, most of them are pretty solid and you just have to press down on the tab pretty hard with a little pointy screwdriver or something. Every once in awhile you'll find one that just won't cooperate though and I have accidentally pulled a couple off the board. It's especially bad if you try to use stranded wire in these things.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Not sure how thick my wire is... in Europe we use different measures for them anyway.

Putting my wires in, first they make a minor click, but needed way more pressure to go in all the way.

Just spent another 20min trying to press the 'release point' and pull the wire out. Even had a friend help me out. Finally pressed the button so hard that I might have blown the connector. Still attached but it moved quite a lot.

Will give up for now. I was redoing my build and could have done it cleaner removing the old wires. I'll just put it together and make the next build cleaner.
Futuregrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I've found a small allen key to be suitable to push down on the release mechanism, then you just gently pull on it while wiggling a bit and they slide free quite nicely.

I use 1mm squared solid core wire in my luminaires, no problemo with it.
H0m3B0Y
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:44 pm
Not sure how thick my wire is... in Europe we use different measures for them anyway.

Putting my wires in, first they make a minor click, but needed way more pressure to go in all the way.

Just spent another 20min trying to press the 'release point' and pull the wire out. Even had a friend help me out. Finally pressed the button so hard that I might have blown the connector. Still attached but it moved quite a lot.

Will give up for now. I was redoing my build and could have done it cleaner removing the old wires. I'll just put it together and make the next build cleaner.
I'm also in EU, I used 0.75mm2 solid core wire (the biggest "standard" EU wire that will fit in these connectors according to datasheet). The next one in size is 1.5mm2, and you should NOT be able to fit it in the connectors.
I just use a nail to pres down on metal thingy. It does make my fingers hurt a bit after connecting 10 strips (with 2 connectors each), but it is a learning experience for me :) I did make the nail less sharp with some sanding paper.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

So I will have to return to try this, just to feel a little less dumb. Tried it with a nail and a screwdriver though... even with a friend helping
Ginolicious
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I’m confused as all get out.

I’m trying to remove wire from my bridgelux eb Gen 2 strips. What do you push down? The whole thing that the wire goes in? And do you just press it down with your finger?

I’m trying to remove 22awg wire. I also broke the wire but can see the other end just need tweezers. Broke it off right at the connector.

Please shed some guidance. I really wanna get these damn strips running this week. I’m almost there.

I was stupid and didn’t cut enough wire so when I went from one strip to the next didn’t have enough wire.
Last edited by Ginolicious on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I just pull and twist... :ugeek:
Run 'em soft
Ginolicious
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ATPinMotion wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 am
I just pull and twist... :ugeek:
I was doing that originally. That’s what dajsss me to snap the wire in half.