Lm561c build 36*36 hlg-600h Meanwell

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Billyho1227
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

OK so I would like to build something to flower a 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 footprint

Driver is hlg-600h-24b

(24)- 15" x 1.1" 96 diode Samsung lm561c strips
24v 44-48w per strip
700-900 mah per strip
Image below

Mounted on 36" x 36" x 3/16" 5053 aluminum sheet
3- slate 3 triple on back with thermal grease
Possible active cooling (if nessesary)

My question is this I am not framiliar with the wiring on a 600hlg there are two red and black leads i'm not sure whether to wire 12 strips to each one and make sure there are even on both sides...
Also i've only ever wired in series and I while I am familiar with drivers that put out specific milliamp hours how is that achieved with a 24 V constant current is it done with simply dimming it down to achieve desired milliamps that's really where am hung up I have other drivers as well.
I see that you are very knowledgeable and hopefully I can get some input on how to put the finishing touches of wiring this thing up I actually have 50 of these trips so maybe making identical twin lights is in option. Any input is appreciated.
IMG_1143.JPG
IMG_1143.JPG (111.17 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
IMG_1142.JPG
IMG_1142.JPG (145.33 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
IMG_1141.JPG
IMG_1141.JPG (128.72 KiB) Viewed 1905 times
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Billyho1227 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 pm
OK so I would like to build something to flower a 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 footprint

Driver is hlg-600h-24b

(24)- 15" x 1.1" 96 diode Samsung lm561c strips
24v 44-48w per strip
700-900 mah per strip
Image below

Mounted on 36" x 36" x 3/16" 5053 aluminum sheet
3- slate 3 triple on back with thermal grease
Possible active cooling (if nessesary)

My question is this I am not framiliar with the wiring on a 600hlg there are two red and black leads i'm not sure whether to wire 12 strips to each one and make sure there are even on both sides...
Also i've only ever wired in series and I while I am familiar with drivers that put out specific milliamp hours how is that achieved with a 24 V constant current is it done with simply dimming it down to achieve desired milliamps that's really where am hung up I have other drivers as well.
I see that you are very knowledgeable and hopefully I can get some input on how to put the finishing touches of wiring this thing up I actually have 50 of these trips so maybe making identical twin lights is in option. Any input is appreciated.

IMG_1143.JPGIMG_1142.JPGIMG_1141.JPG
Nice!

The two leads are confusing, but the driver produces too much current for one wire, so it has to be split into two. You dont have to make them identical, but it would probably be best to wire the same number of strips to each set of red and black wires.

Essentially the driver will produce a constant voltage, somewhere around 24 volts, and your leds will draw as much current as they need for that voltage. The driver is adjustable between 23-25v~ so if the strips are wired for 24 volts, then as you adjust the voltage, the amount of current will go up and down.

If you buy one of these clamp meters, you can measure the current moving through the wire without becoming part of the circuit. You can then see how much current is flowing as you adjust the voltage up and down.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.17 KiB) Viewed 1900 times
May I ask where you found these strips?
Billyho1227
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Good man answered most of my questions with one post yeah I'm looking at something like 2300 diodes twice as many as 4 quantum boards and much better spread I'm hoping
Thanks for the wiring formula and I think I will take that meter into my collection of DIY light meters and tools !!
Billyho1227
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Alibaba...paid 6.00 usd for each and uses the exact same LM561C Samsung diodes S6 bin 3000k....so for $24 I'm getting 100 more diodes than a 75$ quantum board... I got 50 strips for 320$ so 4800 of the same exact diodes for the price of 4 qb's I think it was a no-brainer :D
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Billyho1227 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:00 pm
Alibaba...paid 6.00 usd for each and uses the exact same LM561C Samsung diodes S6 bin 3000k....so for $24 I'm getting 100 more diodes than a 75$ quantum board... I got 50 strips for 320$ so 4800 of the same exact diodes for the price of 4 qb's I think it was a no-brainer :D
That is pretty freaking cheap.

Post pics when youre building it!
Jimmy Jam
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So quite a few people are contacting Chinese LED PCB manufacturers in ShenZhen and getting their own board made to compete against the quantum boards.

$6 each eh? This exact same board normally sells for $20! I won't mention the product name because I don't want the originator to find this forum, as he is arrogant and talks out of his ass from time to time so I don't want to taint the great vibe going on here. I actually really like this board layout, for example Samsung strips have the connectors in an annoying spot that blocks some light and this connector placement is much better.

He basically divided up the quantum board in smaller modules, paid the engineering/design fee, and ordered a bunch in bulk. Now the manufacturer is selling it publicly and undercutting him bigtime, but that's how it goes in China, or maybe they just got sick of dealing with him and are dumping their inventory to get rid of it. Hopefully the diodes aren't counterfeit or a similarly sized LED.

So on the subject of chinese shenanigans. How does one verify lm561c leds? They have certificates and packaging but that's even easier to counterfeit than the leds.

Great find, I am going to notify him.
Last edited by Jimmy Jam on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Looks like Ted's got you covered - he's our resident strip expert!

Since you have the B version of that driver, you will be capped at 24V exactly at full power, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'd be curious to see a schematic of this strip - anyone have anymore info?

This looks like a great project and you've got all the right parts, which is half the battle, so kudos to you on that. I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. I love that this subforum is becoming a hub for all these custom builds and that there's so much variety in parts and layout. Thanks for sharing and feel free to ask any questions, big or small.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Billyho1227
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

My thoughts exactly loving the layout you can fit a really good amount of these on pretty much any applications so I am going to mock up some stuff and get cracking on this project I will provide pictures by the plenty but I must mention that I am a quadriplegic which might slow me down slightly but not agonizingly catch up with you guys soon thanks for the great info and I'm loving this for him as well good peoples good info Great combination peace out for now!
Billyho1227
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am going to have to wire these parallel correct ? Lol I am so used to wiring in series but I always like to fool around with new ways to do things... Another question when wired in parallel with 12 strips on each side of the driver HLg 600 H Will I experience any thermal runaway and is there anyway to keep from happening if it can ?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Yep, everything gets wired in parallel. You won’t need to worry at all about thermal runaway if these are true LM561C and they’re on a heat sink.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!