10x 2ft Strip Build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey guys first off thanks for the help from everyone and the site. It made getting all the correct info i needed and building the lights much easier. The setup I went with was 10 LM561c 3000k 24v 24w strips with the same design pattern as the Samsung H-Series H562D. With a Mean Well hlg-240h-24a for a power supply. The heatsinks are all part of a old aluminum workbench that I cleaned and cut up, then painted the top sides white. The frame is 3/4 aluminum angle with a bit of 1x2 wood and is 43x23in. I had everything all hung and wired up, went to plug it in and nothing happened. :cry: After narrowing it down I figured out the screws had scratched and made electrical contact with the strips then were shorting everything out. Every heatsink was affected so I had to remove all the screws and add some washers. I did use a drill when installing them which was on the lowest torque setting but it was still too much. Anyways after all that they powered up and worked great. I have good air flow on them and at 23.5v the back of the heatsinks were cool to the touch. It was my first time getting to see some leds of this caliber and I was very Impressed. Its also nice the heatsinks are not screwed to the frame can be adjusted side to side. If anyone has any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

Workbench pieces after being taken apart and before being cleaned.

Cleaned, cut, and strips layed out.

Smaller heatsinks

Wiring

Scratches

Finished

rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Reading from old lights 3in away

Reading from new setup 10in away.

Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Sweet set up.
I like how the groups are modular and can be moved on the frame.
ubuntuuser
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Did you use any kind of thermal compound? Good job on keeping some stuff out of the landfill.
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hydrofood wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:16 am
Sweet set up.
I like how the groups are modular and can be moved on the frame.
Thanks! :D

ubuntuuser wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:37 am
Did you use any kind of thermal compound? Good job on keeping some stuff out of the landfill.
I rolled the dice and didnt use any. I guess i could have added some if it was needed. But they are running surprisingly cool.
And thanks. I actually took it out of a soon to be trash pile a couple years ago. Knew I would find a good use for it one day :D
ubuntuuser
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Are you measuring the temperature from the LED board?
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ubuntuuser wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:32 pm
Are you measuring the temperature from the LED board?
I don't have one of those laser thermometers and need to get one but the boards are barely warm to the touch.
If you compared it to a quantum board setup I have more aluminum and the leds are much further apart. Granted the metal shape isnt designed to dissipate heat but it is more spread out. Since the heat is lower im also able to have the lights at a lower height. Which is needed to accommodate the spread of the leds. And having a fan blowing directly on them helps alot too.