DIY LED strip build for 4x4

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Deece
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ocg420 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:18 am
Looks great man. No doubt you're making a lot more progress on this than I am. I did some research since my last post and really at a point where I guess that I'm admitting to myself that some of this is over my head/someone with my skill level should go with a DIY kit type option.

Anyways, I made a separate post to confirm a parts list for 4x 240W QB288 kits and I think that's the route I will go in the end. But please do keep posting updates about your build because I'll be checking in to cheer you on!

Good luck and thanks again to everyone who helped provide me with some really valuable information as part of this thread.
Thanks for the feedback! I'm happy to share progress, I'll update this thread once I build it with my electrical engineer friend in the next week or two.

The diy kit you posted still looks like it requires the same level of wiring and handiness. I recommend you still price out two of these LED strip light builds, might be significant savings to be had bud!

I put each 4x4 led strip build at about $560 CAN before tax: $220 for bridgelux strips, $200 for 2x 240watt driver, $125 for aluminum frame, $15 for tape, plus accessories. So $1020 for both. This assumes a basic (cheap) aluminum angle as a heatsink for each strip.

Looking at your other post parts I guess $552 (US?) for the boards, and $400 (US?) for the triple heatsinks, $400 (CAN) for drivers, plus similar accessories for a total of about $1675 CAN...
ocg420
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Deece wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:13 pm
The diy kit you posted still looks like it requires the same level of wiring and handiness. I recommend you still price out two of these LED strip light builds, might be significant savings to be had bud!
I think the key difference for me is I can find videos how to build/wire the exact same thing. But you're right, still takes a bit of knowledge/handiness. Honestly a bit worried about it LOL
Deece wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:13 pm
I put each 4x4 led strip build at about $560 CAN before tax: $220 for bridgelux strips, $200 for 2x 240watt driver, $125 for aluminum frame, $15 for tape, plus accessories. So $1020 for both. This assumes a basic (cheap) aluminum angle as a heatsink for each strip.

Looking at your other post parts I guess $552 (US?) for the boards, and $400 (US?) for the triple heatsinks, $400 (CAN) for drivers, plus similar accessories for a total of about $1675 CAN...
I will pay about $1050-1350 CDN delivered for enough to make 4x 240w fixtures. This assumes $50-300 in duty fees (hence the range).

Does that seem reasonable? I thought it was a pretty good price but likely not as cheap if I went full DIY. Yours comes out cheaper so that seems about right. (?)

PS. It's from Kingbrite on Alibaba.
Deece
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Right on. Slipped my mind QB288 is a generic term, my cost estimate was straight from HLG website. That seems to be a decent price!
Deece
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Well, I've learned an important lesson. Measure your tent!
I thought I had a 4x4 but its 3x3 (well, 38"x38" to be exact).

What I've purchased is a setup for 2'x4' (12x 2' strips + 240W driver), assuming i would build out another.

What I guess I will have to do is tighten the spacing on this build so its a 2'x3', and then build another 1'x3' fixture with 1' strips + 120W driver.

That would give me 360W.
ocg420
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey @deece sorry to hear about your issue re: tent dimensions. How did you end up addressing?

Sorry for late response. Had a personal issue taking up a lot of time over past couple weeks.
Deece
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Well,
I have changed gears a little bit and am going to test out this gear with growing microgreens, 3 strips to a shelf.
Here's the latest build, I just have to wire it up!
20190518_123059.jpg
As for the grow tent, I'll probably just pack them tight at 3" spacing and try just the 240W of lighting power for my next grow!
36"x22" is still better coverage than my current two led set up which is about 22"x24" and pulls 400W
RonaldTail
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Very informative thread. Thanks. I'm going to build this and have been sourcing all the parts, I've got nearly all the bits except the LED strips. Hestating between Samsung strips and Lepro strips. Keep you posted on what I decide.
The_Mouse_Police
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Deece wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:02 pm
Well,
I have changed gears a little bit and am going to test out this gear with growing microgreens, 3 strips to a shelf.
Here's the latest build, I just have to wire it up!
20190518_123059.jpg
As for the grow tent, I'll probably just pack them tight at 3" spacing and try just the 240W of lighting power for my next grow!
36"x22" is still better coverage than my current two led set up which is about 22"x24" and pulls 400W
A bit off the topic, but where did you find those trays?
sandykostin
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

May I know what you chose in the end? I have the same problem, but I can't solve it in any way. So far, I am equipping my new apartment, and I can't decide what kind of lighting I should install and where to order it so that the goods are of high quality and I am not deceived. Of course, you do not need to set yourself up in advance for a negative result, but now you need to be careful when ordering something from the Internet. So far, my friends advise me to order led driver from this service, since many people ordered goods from there themselves and were very satisfied with their quality and price. In general, I will think a little more, but I think that I will order from there. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I will be pleased to hear them from you
drgreen
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Keeping the room colk and leds cool effects the efficiency of the led? So the fans sucking off my led directly cooling it down are effecting the leds power?
Subbed as I'm doing very similar very interested in pics of ya grow room and light