First time build. Help selecting the right strips for the job.

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Masyea
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Canada 🇨🇦
I want to build a light to flower a 4/4 tent. My brain is now mush with the amount of research I have put into it that I am now asking for help from you all.
Would like to get everything via Digi-key or Mousers as they include all the taxes, exchange and import fees ( hate the unknown/hidden fees after shipment).

Was thinking about the photoboost strips (Pacific Light Concepts) just not sure the cost + the us exchange and import fees would be worth it or I’m able to get something just as good through the vender I previously mentioned.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Do you know how much taxes ect you would pay if you import? Also what is your budget
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Masyea
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

The duties and taxes all depend on where the products are imported from.
Don’t really have a budget, just looking to get the best bang for the buck and get a quality light. I feel that for Canadians to get a quality light it cost closer to $2 per watt.
Looking for the expert advice on the correct products.
If I was to build the pacific light concepts fixture after taxes and duties would cost me upwards of $1100.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I order my drivers and strips from digikey, and pay 60-75c per watt. I made a 240w light a while back and used 9e for the frame, I had wire and wagos lying around.
The heatsinks are 0.6mm thick extrusions that are designed to protect the edges of gypsum boards in construction. Bonuses its really light weight, and negatives I could not use it as a weapon during the zombie apocalypse :D
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Masyea wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:03 am
Canada 🇨🇦
I want to build a light to flower a 4/4 tent. My brain is now mush with the amount of research I have put into it that I am now asking for help from you all.
Would like to get everything via Digi-key or Mousers as they include all the taxes, exchange and import fees ( hate the unknown/hidden fees after shipment).

Was thinking about the photoboost strips (Pacific Light Concepts) just not sure the cost + the us exchange and import fees would be worth it or I’m able to get something just as good through the vender I previously mentioned.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks
welcome to the forum first off 😁

PLC can't ship outside of the states 😢.. anyone that has the plc strips outside of the u.s. used a third party shipper to receive them.. so the price probably even more expensive.

I'm not 100% sure now, but awhile back https://www.arrow.com use to be duty free to our friends to the north 😁. might be worth checking there for parts.. they carry pretty much everything digi-key does..

again welcome
Masyea
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the warm welcome and I appreciate in advance for all the advise I hope to receive here.

Yeah arrow also includes the duty and taxes for us so we know the end total...

Which strips to go with from arrow, Digi-Key or mousers?
What’s the best out there available via those venders?

I just want to see my girls grow up 😆
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Alberta, Canada here as well! So, howdy!

My first build was an easy samsung f-series. 12 strips 3 of each the 3000k, 3500k, 4000k and 5000k using two HLG-185H-C1400B. 6s0p per driver.

I used it for my first grow with great success and I will tell you, take baby steps. I was overthinking the hell out of my setups.

I veged with the 4000 and 5000 temp lights and then added the other six strips when the time was right for flower. Despite all the bro science out there, with nothing but white light f-series strips, my buds still came out dense and frosty.

There is science out there that will explain the benefits to having additional UV/Far Red/Photored/infrared spectrums in your light, but I would argue these are augmentative and are not essential to getting your girls to grow and producing quality bud.

If I were you, right now, for a 4x4, a quality seed to harvest build IMO (and my second build) was using 14 two foot Bridgelux EB Gen2's 3500k in 7s2p on another HLG-185H-C1400B. Very cheap for great coverage and light output, plus cool to run when on a heatsink (which I just use aluminum flat bar). I mixed mine in with the Samsung F-series 3000 and 3500k. Perhaps scaling it so that you can use the Bridgelux EB's all the way which are cheap as hell to get the wattage per foot you need would be the way to go. You could also grab a mix of 3500k and 5000k if your really wanted to mess around with spectrum.

Heh... Sorry, I probably added to your confusion... There are rabbit holes everywhere around here. :lol: ;)
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Good suggestion, with strips you can spread things out more to give a better coverage, if you are going to mix different strips try to keep an even blend. Adding a few extra strips allows you to drop the light closer to the canopy and that has a huge effect on the light hitting the plants. Hitting 3 micromouls per joule is a great achievement but if you don't have the spread you still need to keep the light higher and that makes a really big difference. By dropping a light 100mm a 2.5m/joule system will have more light hitting the canopy than a 3m/joule system that has to sit 100mm higher at canopy level.

It's a bit more work to constantly adjust the height but worth it if you have the time.
Last edited by TEKNIK on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I don't know how this works in Canada but just as a heads up, I thought all taxes etc were covered by Digikey but I had to pay VAT for my order. It ships from USA
HomerPepsi
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:27 pm
Good suggestion, with strips you can spread things out more to give a better coverage, if you asre going to mix different strips try to keep an even blend. Adding a few extra strips allows you to drop the light closer to the canopy and that has a huge effect on the light hitting the plants. Hitting 3 micromouls per joule is a great achievement but if you don't have the spread you still need to keep the light higher and that makes a really big difference. By dropping a light 100mm a 2.5m/joule system will have more light hitting the canopy than a 3m/joule system that has to sit 100mm higher at canopy level.

It's a bit more work to constantly adjust the height but worth it if you have the time.
That is some good information to know.