2x4 EB Gen 2 Strip Build Help Needed

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Shamz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi All, I'm new to the forum and I need some assistance with my EB Strip build. My grow space is 2X4ft and using the parallel strip build tool it says i need about 240 watts for my space. I need to know if a ELG-240-24A will be able to safely run 10 x 2ft gen 2 EB strips in Parallel. The calculator says that my System Current will be 10.500a but the driver datasheet says 10a. Will the 0.5a cause the strips to short? Will it be possible to cool the strips with 3mm thick Width 50mm x Height 50mm aluminium U channel running at 1.050a?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

240 is fine in that space, the strips will run at about 20v so power will be a little lower, 20v x 10A=200w? Should still get the job done. If you want a bit more kick you could wire 2series/x parallel, and use a 42v driver.

At 1000mA I run EB's with way less heatsinking then that. Been running at 1450mA with much less heatsinking then that too. 8 2 foot strips on a 42v 240w driver
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Shamz wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:39 pm
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and I need some assistance with my EB Strip build. My grow space is 2X4ft and using the parallel strip build tool it says i need about 240 watts for my space. I need to know if a ELG-240-24A will be able to safely run 10 x 2ft gen 2 EB strips in Parallel.
Hmm, indeed as uncle said it will be missing out on 40 watts. I would recommend -20A drivers (not 2000mA, but the mean well model number) unless you want to go over 1050mA (beyond about 1050mA they will need more than 20v a piece according to the data sheet)

With the -20A drivers you are very close to Maxing out on the driver.

Anyway when you see this voltage range, like 12~24 or something.. you want your strip voltage to be as close to the max of the driver, or else you are not drawing the full poewr. That's why, as unkle also said, if you use the 42v model of this driver, you are a bit closer to this limit.
Shamz wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:39 pm
The calculator says that my System Current will be 10.500a but the driver datasheet says 10a. Will the 0.5a cause the strips to short? Will it be possible to cool the strips with 3mm thick Width 50mm x Height 50mm aluminium U channel running at 1.050a?
Ok so this driver gives 10A. If you put strips on parallel they will get that current divided. If you put 10 they will take 10A/10 = 1A each, and at 1A they will use 20V (as per bridgelux data sheet). If you put 6 strips, they will take 1.666A, needing a voltage of >20.5V. So the driver cannot do that if it has a max output voltage of 20. If you put a Thousand strips on there, they will use 10mA each at whatever voltage that requires.

I am using 666 and 900mA without heatsink. So the strip can easily run at 13,65w or 15w with no heatsink. Now, the PCB of bridgelux is 520*24*16mm. If you add some aluminum that is 30mm wide and 2mm thick you are already pretty much doubling the heat dissipation area. Just another way to think about it.
Shamz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the help unkle and 0 to 200 makes much more sense now. I will see which drivers are available in my price range and start with build drawings so i can picture all the stuff i need. I'm really excited about building my first grow light so I will load some pics of my build as I'm making progress. I might need some guidance on the build though, because i'm a total beginner at the moment :lol:
Shamz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I just checked Digikey and they don't have stock of elg-240-42a and the hlg series is a bit out of my budget. I measures my space as well and its about 0.7m2 which is about 6.5ft2 so i actually need about 200watts for my space. Which xlg series driver will give me the max wattage?
The_Mouse_Police
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

https://octopart.com/search?q=elg-240-4 ... sugg_idx=1

Any of those in stock, with affordable shipping to your locale?
Shamz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

The_Mouse_Police wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:57 pm
https://octopart.com/search?q=elg-240-4 ... sugg_idx=1

Any of those in stock, with affordable shipping to your locale?
Unfortunately not but thanks for the link i can use that site to source parts and compare prices. I prefer buying from Digikey because they have agents in South Africa so i don't pay any shipping fees through them.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I got the XLG200-24, which also looses a little power when you run 20v strips. I figured they leave me more options on rebuilds in the future. I think we paid 29e a piece with the volume discount, which is pretty damn cheap for a 94% efficient driver. We grabbed the whole stock a couple of weeks back, don't know when they will receive more - but its a new driver model that meanwell seems to promote.

There are some cheap driver choices if looking for the ultimate cheap setup, but it means building from multiple small drivers. Small drivers are less efficient, so I don't really think the savings are worth the drop in efficiency... I probably have 20 of the small 40w TRP drivers, and 10 of the 75w ones, that I got for various reasons. If 20$ really makes a difference, then you might want to look at the Thomas Research Products 40w 22v driver, it normally costs close to 30$, but digikey has a batch of 2000pcs they are dumping at around 6$. Thats still about 36$ for 6... savings are very marginal.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Shamz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Would the xlg-200-24a with a 8.3a run 8 2ft EB strips?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The XLG range in 24V is what I would be going for, your strips will not last as long as the drivers and there are alot more up comming options for 24V. Most of my new range will be 24V as the drivers are cheaper and it's easier to design around 24V. Bridgelux should have added an extra led into the string to up the voltage a bit more. My strips will be as close to 24V as I can get them.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik