4x4 Tent Samsung F-series advice

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
jailer108
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi guys, been lurking around a bit, finally decided to pull the trigger and start my own DIY LED build!

Looking to build a light that will fill a 4x4 tent.
Trying not to be too ambition for my first build, so sticking with the provided '4x4 Samsung F-series build' using the 4ft strips.

The build recommends using the 4 of the wider 40mm strips with two rows of diodes (SI-B8VZ91B20WW)
Issue is I cant get my hands on any decent heatsinks or 40mm wide U-channels. On the other hand, I can easily find 20mm U-channels so I'm leaning towards using 8~10 of the 18mm wide strips (SI-B8U521B20WW).

Planning to put some Autos as well as veg a couple of plants, and I've been told 3500K would could provide a spectrum for both veg and flower. Anyone have experience using this spectrum for both?

Was guessing this will also help with coverage/distribution. Question is, will the recommended HLG-480H-48A still be optimal for the change in the setup?

Grateful for any advice/recommendations!

TLDR:
1) 4x4 tent, lookin to use provided build
2) 3500K spectrum for both veg and flower?
3) Can HLG-480H-48A manage 8~10 <SI-B8U521B20WW>
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

The double row is exactly equivalent to two single rows in parallel. Same voltage but able to handle twice the current. Yes that driver will do fine.
Stick with 10, as you will get slightly less light if you go with 8 (a whole 1.4% less, whoopdeewoo)
jailer108
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the advice Shimbob, will go with the single strip.
I'm assuming the driver will not have any problems running 2 additional lights?
Also, thoughts on the color temp (3500k) for both veg/flower?

Lastly, the only diff between HLG-480H-48A and HLG-480H-48B is that B has the built in dimmer, correct?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

B has a connection for a remote dimmer, A you can adjust on the driver with a small screw driver, the A driver is not designed to be adjusted all the time so if you want to dim more that 10X a year I suggest the B driver
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
jailer108
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Almost all equipment has been ordered, will update on build.
I cant find solid 18 awg wires, but I can get my hands on some 14 awg. Checked on the samsung strip spec sheet, and it says 18 is the biggest that can fit. Anyone know if 14 awg can work by any chance (might be forcing it but..)?

Or if that wont, anyone know if stranded wires will do the job?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Stranded wire is usually better just tin the ends before you poke them into the connectors
TacticGuy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I used 18 awg stranded wire in my F series build, and pre-tinned as mentioned above, but also i used needle nose pliers to insert the wires, otherwise it had a tendency to bend in my experience at least.

Not sure if bigger wire would work, as the datasheet says 18awg / 1.02mm is the biggest recommended for solid core, and i also noticed that if the pre-tinning wasn't even on the tip of the wire, the struggle was real, and had to re-flow the tin.
:ugeek:
jailer108
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Built my frame and taped all my strips to my u-channels.
Things are coming together.

Also managed to get some solid wire (dont have soldering iron).

Noob question:
The strips that I got only have connectors on one side, and as mentioned, I dont have a soldering iron.
Does is matter that I connect both + and - on the same side?

Thanks, quite new to all of this!

Pictures for reference.

One end has connectors;

other end does not.
jailer108
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Wow just looking at the pictures... I really need to work on aligning my drill holes! :lol:
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

It won't matter to connect them all at one end