Mixing EB Gen2 and Gen3

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Stefan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

As the title implies, can the two generations be connected together in a parallel setting (one driver) or do the chips differ that much?

And question nr 2: are there going to be any lm301H strips available from digikey, especially in a 4' setup?

Thank you all
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

For the first question I have no clue, and for the second question they only have lm301B modules, which do have a higher output. Not sure if you would be forced to the Q-series if you want the 4 foot strips.

I think the 3rd gen bridgelux will have a higher efficiency, and more lumens/ watt. Most of the light at the same cri/K is pretty generic, there is not huge differences in spectrum between the different brands, unless you go for some more special stuff.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Stefan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks for the reply.
I think that for EB the chips differ as they have different voltage driving. (38,2 vs 39V for the 1120 mm).

Is there a difference for plants (salad and houseplants, not something else) between Q series and the H series? I see that H is combined with 660nm, but I would need only the white light. The Q series is already in use quite successfully for me, but I wanted to try something new.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

There is a difference, but despite the market being flooded from red-supplemented fixtures, nobody is actually able to quantify what the difference would be.

The general explanations are just the basic theory on red lights role in horticulture... but in horticulture they really study Blue/red ratios separately for each grow phase, and the optimum ratios are different for each phase. So i would say any serious strategy relating to red light would be looking for more then a general seed to harvest ratio.

I have never met a cannabis grower who assumed the added red was for the vegetative phase... although it could offer potential benefit there too. In vegetative studies on cannabis, plant stress levels were lowest when receiving 450nm and 660nm light. Accumulation of above ground biomass was also the greatest. Even adding 730nm 'emerson' frequency reduced above ground biomass. Many of the things that reduced above ground biomass increased root size, so again they seemed to change directions plants sent energy, and many weed growers give a lot of value to root growth - assuming it will later translate to more bud. With salad your collecting the vegetative biomass, with little interest on what long term benefit strong roots could offer.

For growing salads I would not care at all about the brand of the diodes, I would compare the salads I was interested in under a few different lights, a blurple, an 80cri and a 90-97cri light.

The blurple would probably have the greatest growth, and look the healthiest, at least if leaf stress characteristics were studied. The 80 cri would grow regular salad, and show what a cheap setup will give you, and the high CRI light would show what adding all those extra light frequencies would do to coloring and flavor.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"