Driver options for this setup

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
gravity
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'm going with Samsung F-Series strips.

OPTION ONE
Five Samsung 4000K SI-B8T521B20WW strips = 257 watts
Should I use Meanwell HLG-240H-48A, which will mean I am running my strips at 93%?

OPTION TWO
Seven Samsung 4000K SI-B8T521B20WW strips = 360 watts
Could I use Meanwell HLG-320H-48A, which will mean I am running my strips at 88%?
In other words is 88% too low for F-Series or should I spring for the HLG-480H-48A

Other driver options?
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Hi there, at this stage it's not really about what % you are "using" but rather about sizing a driver for your space.

I assume that you mean that the strips are run at 88% of their test current. A lower amperage. In that case it should be no problem at all. Rather, it's better than running them at higher current. (In terms of efficacy, at least)

But like I said that is not so relevant - first we must know how much power do you need. if you want to flower cannabis plant in 3x3 you will probably want a 320w driver. If you want to do the growth stage in 3x3 you could get away with 160w. If you want to flower it in 2x2 you can get a 180w one or something. If you want to grow basil, lettuce, other herbs, you will need much less light (= less watts).

That's why your question is a bit confusing to me. Both drivers seem like they would work. But you would use them in different size spaces or for different goals.

if you link the data sheets or digikey site it is a lot easier to discuss. Not everyone on this forum has memorized the datasheet of 320-48A and whatever the strip is
gravity
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Last edited by gravity on Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

When they say "run at 75% of max" they mean of the max current allowed, not the test current. In the case of these strips, max current is 1.8A, so running them at ~1A is nearly half power. All good.