strip build to replace DE1000 ?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Mchoate
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I am looking to replace my De1000 lights with strip LED's , does this sound like a viable replacement:
10 Samsung LT-FB22B 4′ Strips
mean well HLG-600-48 driver
of course appropriate heatsinks and other related parts to complete

any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks
Elevator Dude
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I run 2 of that exact set up over a 4x8 space and I am very happy with the results after one run. As long as you understand the inherent differences between led and hid lighting I think it would be a good alternative, I hate the word replacement when talking lighting.
Mchoate
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Cool, thanks
Yeah i know they are two differen animals for sure

I have a 10 light room i am converting and building a 2nd in about 2 months i will post the rooms on here when converted
Here is a pic with current set up the color is off due to the de light
20191225_093222.jpg
Elevator Dude
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

With 600w depending on spacing you will be getting around 38-50w/sqft for basically the footprint of the fixture 4'x3' to 4'. There is a handy led height hanging chart on here somewhere that demonstrates the penetration for different w/sqft.

I'll try and find it for you but the reason I mention it is the footprint for the 600w of led isn't going to be as big as the 1000de's your running now so it wont be a 1 to 1 light swap. With a large space like that you are going to want to look at the overall size of the space and figure out how much power you need to achieve the w/sqft you require. I have no experience with an operation that size I just run a 4x8 so there might be more cost effective choices in strips when looking at a space that big and 100 or more strips.

Edit - the chart is 4 or 5 posts down the page, its basic but illustrates the point.
viewtopic.php?t=5033
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

In large rooms boards are alot easier than strip builds. Because of the way boards overlap in large rooms it has less of an effect on spread than it does in smaller rooms. Strip builds are great but they do get in the way.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Mchoate
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks teknik, I had thought about QB's
would 4 lights with 4 qb288's and an HLG 480 driver be sufficient over each side of room which has 2 4x8 trays or do you think an additional light over each side would be needed to really kick ass in that room?
it will be a sealed room with Co2
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You really want to be closer to 600W if running co2.
It's probably better to run 3 qbs off one HLG320 driver and space them around a bit more. This would mean 4 lights all together but it would be closer to where you want it, if you use the AB drivers the current can be pushed a bit harder also.
Depending on how you grow you may want to go further than that again and add more lights.
The HLG 320 drivers are a better buy than the 480w drivers, the savings can be used on another QB.
If you are in the USA I suggest to use genuine HLG.
If funds are a problem then the QB96s are a pretty good buy also, they are not as efficient but you do save alot of the initial purchase.
If funds are not an issue then the Highlights are a good option or you could ask Cutter to custom make something for you. Highlights are more expensive than HLG boards but they are about 30% larger.
The recent testing Or_Grow has done made it pretty clear there is a significant difference in THC content when using close to UVA leds but HLG do not have this as standard like the Highlights do.
Mchoate
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ok, so correct me if im wrong here
for ea 4x8 :
12 QB's and 4 hlg 320 drivers for a total of 1200w ?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

That's what I would suggest. If you buy AB drivers you can get a bit more out of the 320W drivers so it would be closer to 1400W.
You do not need to run them that hard but it's better to have the option there.
It's difficult to judge with Co2 as some people know how to grow with more light and others don't.
It will come down to your growing skills and the strain you are growing. Better to have more there if needed. You can try it out just doing half the room first to see if you are happy before spending double the money
Mchoate
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok so we have decided to go with the strip lights, the only drawbacks I could see with this build was being a little more of hassle to work around and more labor assembling however the saving between the strip and the qb light of equal wattage is substantial and i like having a more uniform light coverage of the strips. we will be ordering parts in a week and I will start another thread when i do the build and get the room fired up