Bridgelux Gen 3 , 3k build ~

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I have been really impressed with the performance of the Gen2 build I did and since then have been wanting to try to get my hands on the Gen 3 ones to try. Every few days I'd look around and never could find any in quantities I could afford. Then yesterday I stumbled upon a website that had them in an affordable amount and price ! I just ordered 20 (minimum amount) - shipped it was 200.62 $ and they are here in the USA. They also have pretty good deals on a lot of other strips - and they did have the 90 cri version I think. I got the 80 as I'm not sure it's worth the loss in efficiency from what i've seen/heard. Anyway there's a few more there if anyone is interested : https://www.futureelectronics.com/p/lig ... ux-7115970

I also scored 2 HLG 240h 54B drivers for a sweet deal (88$ shipped). I plan to run 10 strips on each driver all on one large piece of alu plate I can score at a metal recycling place for pennies on the dollar and probably a few cross bars for stability. I am excited as at 26.8 w these are 186/lw and I will be under that a hair. This 480w build will cost me about 320$~ amazing :) I will post up when I get the bits and bobs together.

Here's the data sheet for the strips :https://www.bridgelux.com/sites/default ... ev%20A.pdf
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I got all the pieces! Scored a alu sheet and a few pieces of channel for 11$ at metal recycling place and some good fasteners at a recycled building center -also scored a few free new LED ceiling fixtures there ! For the first one I decided to use a HLG 320 42A driver on 10 of the strips. I am now going to make a second one - but I'm in a bit of a quandary as the driver I have is 320 54A model - the strips are 38.3 v so using it I lose the ability to use about 92w :( I want to know if anyone has any clever ideas on how to use this remaining juice. One friend said it might be possible to wire some 660nm diodes in series before the strips to bring up the FV. Is that possible? If so I'd love to understand how to do it, or any other clever suggestions. BTW - I really like these strips -they seem slightly more rigid and better constructed than the GEN2. THe plants really respond well to the light and its bright as hell for 320 w. Also the price for the included whatever tariff there is - it was a flat 192.60$ with shipping to my door for 20 strips. This makes these cheaper than gen 2 on digikey -but you have to buy 20 ..
Attachments
IMG_2078.jpg
IMG_2059.jpg
60550241066__545D50F8-B325-43F3-A7A2-AB818C352719.JPG
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I called RapidLED to ask about using some of their photo red solderless stars on my build to use the extra juice of the 320w driver I have available. THe lady there was super sweet and talked my noob ass through how to do it. LOVE them. THe driver is 54v and the strips are 38.3v so when I run it I am not using about 90w of juice that's there. It will be a hassle sort of -but it will be cheaper than buying a good 660nm strip premade and I can get the full potential of the driver. I have to wire one diode to the end of each strip. The strips will be run super soft too at 595 milliamps at about 23 w so it should be very efficient -same for the red diodes as they can go to 1 amp. I am looking forward to this one. :)
gvbz
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hey thanks a lot for your post, it inspired me to try out a diy build and I got these strips landed in Canada for 14$CAD a piece, much cheaper than the gen 3 slims on digikey for 22$. I also found some 6" x 48" aluminum pieces for 10$ each that look like they will make good heat sinks, I believe they are wall slats for a building or mounting system:

metal_slats.jpg
metal_slats_2.jpg

My plan is to build multiple fixtures for a vertical farming application. I was going to keep it simple and wire 6 strips in parallel to an HLG-240H-42A, and maybe do a few 8 strip fixtures on a HLG-320H-42A. How did you end up doing your wiring and do you have any suggestions or lessons learned? Any info or references you used for wiring would be much appreciated, I've been reading the DIY strip build designs page and was wondering how applicable those guides are for the gen 3 strips. I know that these are 38.3V so a 42A model should be good. Thanks again.
480W Bridgelux EB Gen3 Parallel Build: https://bit.ly/2NfoVyE
Grow Room Automation w/ Node Red: https://bit.ly/3hOm5yK
Github: https://github.com/gvbz/gardenbro
Instagram: @loudfarms_ca
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Well I think you're making a good choice - I think there's no better value - I tried and tried to find something better. I did learn that the HLG 36A or AB driver can be turned up to 39v -so it might be a better choice unless you want to add 660 nm to the build then the 42v driver can go to 45 I think so you can add about 2-3 stars depending on their FV. If for flower and you go the 3k strips then I think 1 row of 660 stars and 1 of 730 would be great as there should be enough 660 combined to get the emerson effect from the combo as there's blue in the strips too. I just wire them in parallel - but give each strip equal access to driver - don't run power through them. If you need let me know I could take a pic of the wiring. Those alu pieces you have will work fine I think. I also put the driver on a long lead not on the fixture - I think thats a better way to go. I used old 12ga extension cord piece so the DC power could flow easy there.
strawberrybananas
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

the Falcon wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:25 am
If you need let me know I could take a pic of the wiring. Those alu pieces you have will work fine I think. I also put the driver on a long lead not on the fixture - I think thats a better way to go. I used old 12ga extension cord piece so the DC power could flow easy there.

That would be dope. I'm having troubles figuring out how to wire a similar build. Especially on how to make it look clean as well as being a safe build.
gvbz
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Some pictures would be awesome. I'm also going to try and remote mount the driver rather than mounting it on the fixture. Looking to use some wagos I have and wire it similar to the following diagram:

BXEB-1120Z-4X4-1.png

Regarding the photo reds, this will be for a veg and vertical farming application so the 4000k strips will be more than enough. I can get the 42A models cheaper than the 36A for some reason, and my understanding is these self adjust. They do have a voltage adjustment dial built in, did you end up using it? Thanks again for the advice and link to the good deal. Each one of my fixtures will be 230$CAD for around 240W of power, pretty unreal. In my flower room I have 2 chilled logic 660s on 600H-48A drivers, but I bought those pre-built for over 1000$ each. Will definitely post some pictures when I'm complete in a couple weeks here.
480W Bridgelux EB Gen3 Parallel Build: https://bit.ly/2NfoVyE
Grow Room Automation w/ Node Red: https://bit.ly/3hOm5yK
Github: https://github.com/gvbz/gardenbro
Instagram: @loudfarms_ca
the Falcon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

gvbz wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:41 am
Some pictures would be awesome. I'm also going to try and remote mount the driver rather than mounting it on the fixture. Looking to use some wagos I have and wire it similar to the following diagram:

BXEB-1120Z-4X4-1.png

Regarding the photo reds, this will be for a veg and vertical farming application so the 4000k strips will be more than enough. I can get the 42A models cheaper than the 36A for some reason, and my understanding is these self adjust. They do have a voltage adjustment dial built in, did you end up using it? Thanks again for the advice and link to the good deal. Each one of my fixtures will be 230$CAD for around 240W of power, pretty unreal. In my flower room I have 2 chilled logic 660s on 600H-48A drivers, but I bought those pre-built for over 1000$ each. Will definitely post some pictures when I'm complete in a couple weeks here.
SO I think thats a hot mess with all the wagos - I use the 5 or 6 way ones and put them all into it. 2-3 18ga wires can fit in each slot.I also like to start in the middle of the bunch so each strip is about as close as the next one to the power as can be. Those are the only two wagos on the build except for on driver.

Here's pics to try to help make it clear. I just added a bunch more colors ! I still am going to add a violet one too ~ As you can see the driver is off the lead I have going through the strut - I wind it thru it like that so if you pull on it its no problem. I used a piece of a 12ga extension cord - nice and thick so the DC flows smooth.
Attachments
IMG_2164.jpg
IMG_2166.jpg
IMG_2167.jpg