Redesigning my 4x4, need advice.

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
TacticGuy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

So im going to redesign my fixture my for 4x4 tent, as im not really satisfied with how it hot spots the way i built it :oops:
So what i would really appreciate it some advice of how to put it together so it is uniform in the 4x4, and what strips to use etc.

What bothers me most is the length of the strips, i wish there was like 900-1000mm strips, due to heatsink lengths of 1000mm and 4x4 limitations.

I have been thinking that it might be possible with 3s of the small strips, and like 10p, but i cant do the math etc on that wiring.. :?
Here is what i got so far, noticing some light\heat stress..
Attachments
1 (2).jpg
1 (1).jpg
:ugeek:
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

What strips are you using on that light? I dont think hot sports are all that common for mid power strip builds (idk). The configuration would seem to naturally lend itself to even lighting. But I noticed that your strips overlap one another in the middle of the light. Is the hot spot beneath the area of overlapping strips?

Do you not want to buy other heat sinks, or are you not aware of other heat sink options? You can get heat sinks for linear strips in a wide range of lengths.

There are lot's of options for strips. Bridgelux and Samsung are popular options.

This video might give you some ideas,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAFdc6WZF-g
Dude could be more humble considering he is a mediocre hobby grower, but his video gives a good idea of how many people approach a strip build.
TacticGuy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

randorson wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:16 am
What strips are you using on that light? I dont think hot sports are all that common for mid power strip builds (idk). The configuration would seem to naturally lend itself to even lighting. But I noticed that your strips overlap one another in the middle of the light. Is the hot spot beneath the area of overlapping strips?

Do you not want to buy other heat sinks, or are you not aware of other heat sink options? You can get heat sinks for linear strips in a wide range of lengths.

There are lot's of options for strips. Bridgelux and Samsung are popular options.

Dude could be more humble considering he is a mediocre hobby grower, but his video gives a good idea of how many people approach a strip build.
The strips im using is samsung f series, 1 footers or how long they are.
20 strips, 10 on each hlg 320h.
Running them at 600mah.
And yes, it seems the overlapping is causing some hotspotting, i dont have a par meter to check exact values though.

The problem with heatsinks here is the low availability vs cost in EU, otherwise it would be easier yeah.

Yeah agree about the video, that is the guy that got me into this though, lots of information!
Unfortunately, the builds he does does not fit a 4x4 without rubbing the walls afaik?

I might mess around with 2 smaller separate fixtures, not sure, bit on the fence about how to go about it.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You always have hot spots no matter how you build

There are ways around it but it gets expensive and also difficult to make.
Chilled has 1 meter strips available now as an alternative.
I think 1 meter strips are better personally in a 4X4, it just gives that bit of extra room for the light to hang
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
TacticGuy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 12:00 am
You always have hot spots no matter how you build

There are ways around it but it gets expensive and also difficult to make.
Chilled has 1 meter strips available now as an alternative.
I think 1 meter strips are better personally in a 4X4, it just gives that bit of extra room for the light to hang
Hmm okey, else you have to diffuse the light i suppose?

I will take your word for it..
Ohhh i had no idea they had their own strips!
Yeah 1 meter strips has to be perfect for 4x4, gotta look into those then.

Any opinions on their 4x4 diy strip fixtures? since strips of that size is scarce, it might be reasonable to actually just buy the kit i guess, as in cost vs availability? as i'm in EU also.
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

TacticGuy wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:43 pm
randorson wrote:

Running them at 600mah.
And yes, it seems the overlapping is causing some hotspotting, i dont have a par meter to check exact values though.

The problem with heatsinks here is the low availability vs cost in EU, otherwise it would be easier yeah.

Yeah agree about the video, that is the guy that got me into this though, lots of information!
Unfortunately, the builds he does does not fit a 4x4 without rubbing the walls afaik?

I might mess around with 2 smaller separate fixtures, not sure, bit on the fence about how to go about it.
So in a pedantic sense there will always be hotspots. I have only built 23 f-series lights similar to the ones in the video (without the expensive 80/20 parts) and another 1 dozen that are more powerful. I have not had any hotspots that are strong enough to manifest in a problem for plants. So I do think that eliminating the overlap of strips could help you.

How much clearance do you want between the walls of the tent and the frame of the light?
TacticGuy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

randorson wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 10:24 pm
TacticGuy wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 11:43 pm
randorson wrote:

Running them at 600mah.

So in a pedantic sense there will always be hotspots. I have only built 23 f-series lights similar to the ones in the video (without the expensive 80/20 parts) and another 1 dozen that are more powerful. I have not had any hotspots that are strong enough to manifest in a problem for plants. So I do think that eliminating the overlap of strips could help you.

How much clearance do you want between the walls of the tent and the frame of the light?
Oh really, never manifested in plants ? I might be reading the problems i've faced wrong then also, but either way i believe it would help, certainly not worsen the current fixture, by designing it more even, it was just what i came up with on the spot :lol:

Well the clearance is good enough if its not touching the walls, but would be great to get an arm between without issues to raise\lower the light, as it was a hassle raising the light, but i guess thats how it is with mid power strips.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If you are in the EU then there is a good company in Germany that has strips that will suit you

Led-tech.de
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Really. Never once had an issue with hot spots from a mid-powerd build.
TacticGuy
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 pm
If you are in the EU then there is a good company in Germany that has strips that will suit you

Led-tech.de
Thank you! never heard of that site, way better! <3