Comparing Samsung with Bridgelux - something not adding up.

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
Li_Mu_Bai
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Trying to decide between Samsung and Bridgelux. I've been reading the data sheets on both the Samsung Lm301B/H and the Bridgelux 2835 .2w gen2 as well as the slim gen3

The Bridgelex 2835 has a nominal drive current of 60Ma and a typical voltage of 2.9v, this gives a power of .174 watts. The maximum drive current is 100, and the max voltage is 3.2, so that would give a power of .32 watts. Before I move on to the apparent discrepancies in the Samsung data, I have a question about the voltage and current ranges, Is the purpose for the range of values for voltage and current so that if there is a spike in electricity or a unintended spike in the driver the diode can handle it and would not be damaged? Or does the range allow for running the LED and different power ranges reletively safely but maybe at the expense of efficiency and longevity. In other words can this 2835 diode, for example, be ran at 100Ma and 3.2 voltage continuously, or would it burn up?

The Samsung specs are confusing to me. The product page for the LM301B says it produces .2w, then the first page of the data sheet says it is .3w. But the listed typical forward voltage is about 2.8v, and the forward current is 200Ma which is .56w. So, I must be missing something in the data, or not interpreting it correctly. Can someone please clarify this for me.

And bottom line question, are these two diodes Bridgelux 2835 and Samsung LM301B very similar in terms of Power and ultimately in terms of μmol/s?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

All leds have optimal drive current ranges. Voltage increases as you increase the current and voltage decreases under high temprature.

The Samsung's are a bit better than the bridgelux but not significantly
You will often find that if you pay more for a product you will drive it harder and loose efficiency

Best way to build lights is to buy alot of them and run them at nominal current or less

Samsung data sheets are messy, the bridgelux data sheets are alot cleaner.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
randorson
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Link to the data sheets (sorry Im lazy)