Choice of strips?

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
GiveMeKnowledge
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi guys, need some advice if possible. Can’t get a reply from mark at cutter to save my life so I’ll ask here. I’m planning a build for a 3x3 flower space and have a couple options on strips. So my choice is between the 3k 90cri nichia 757 strips or Cree jseries 3030 3k 90cri strips both from cutter. My other option is the eb series slim gen3 in 80cri. Does the nichia strips really warrant the nearly double price they command or am I better of with the crees or bluxs. Also an option is a mix of 80 and 90cri in the jseries which will drop the price even lower and give me better lmw if I’m right? Thanks in advance. Appreciate it !
J.R.R.
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi.
I'm not familiar with any of those strips specifically, but you're asking a bang-for-the-buck type of question.

What you need to determine is whether a small improvement in lighting justifies twice as much money, the answer to which is negative...for me. If they both are 90cri, then I'd get the cheaper ones, especially if your first LED light, as you might blow a few during setup/break-in. If the difference in $ was smaller, you might then wish to go for the higher-quality strips.

Just my 2 cents.
GiveMeKnowledge
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Exactly what I was thinking about price . Think I’m on the right track now .cheers
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If you live somewhere that has cheap electricity then go for the Crees.
Nichia are great but its difficult to justify the extra cost.
I live in a country that has high electricity costs so its worth it to gain the extra 10% savings on electricity in some situations.

Need to calculate your power consumption over a 3 year period to get your answer.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Jshippo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:15 pm
If you live somewhere that has cheap electricity then go for the Crees.
Nichia are great but its difficult to justify the extra cost.
I live in a country that has high electricity costs so its worth it to gain the extra 10% savings on electricity in some situations.

Need to calculate your power consumption over a 3 year period to get your answer.

Yea i live with pretty expensive power costs and share them aswell. They know everything so but id still like to keep costs as low as possible with the better leds upfront, so go with the Nichias you reckon?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Its only worth running the Nichia LEDs if you are going to run them at nominal current. You would probably be better off using bridgelux gen3. Nichia have certain advantages especially if you are limited on space on a pcb.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik