help with diy quantum board build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
cob
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ive been working on a diy quantum board light setup for my room. I have a 4x8 area and im trying to do things as cheap as i possibly can, which might have been my first issue lol. i have a good handle on the build and the mindset for that kinda stuff just stuck on one part hear figured it would not hurt to ask for options. i know i should have gone with the diy kits but they where not available when i ordered up my parts. So i ordered 8 qb 288 boards 4 hlg 240 2100a drivers and didnt really have alot of options for heatsinks i ended up going with this (http://www.heatsinkusa.com/7-984-new/) but obviously i need to drill and fasten the boards which is where im stuck lol. figured it would not be too hard to drill and tap but really its not the best option as the screws are so tiny that it actually pretty dam hard to get it right. i have 4 26 inch long heatsinks drilled and taped one which needed 16 holes id say i got 12 good but really i did not like how it went much be a better option.

thanks guys
garnier
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm just in the middle of the build...

I had to drill and tap so many holes that I can't even count them all.

All I can say is patience is your best friend.
Take your time with it and use drill stand if you can.

I've been tapping M3 holes - drilling 2.5mm
Maxxor
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Last edited by Maxxor on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Agreed. I ended up using 6-32’s for some COBs I built a couple years back. They’re overkill but easier to tap. I have a screwdriver style tap that makes it easier because I broke too many using a drill. They probably are too big for most holes though.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!