3×3 EB build

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
sato108
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi guys, quick question. Trying to build a new light for a 3×3×4 box. Was going to use the LG's guide fur the 3x3 but my question is regarding the driver. I have a spare HLG-320H-48A driver that I would like to use for this build. I saw LGs recommendation was for the 20B version. Will I be able to run my lights properly with the 48?

Also, how are the 35k lights? Should I stick with those or blend 3k and 4k?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

You probably can use the 48A driver by wiring 2x strips in series and get 40v, then you go by parallel wiring between groups.
Check the datasheet for all specs btw.

Going 3500k or mixing 3000k and 4000k should be the same
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Are you using the eb gen 2s, or the gen 1s? That driver will run the gen 1s, but not the gen 2s. You would theoretically have to run each strip at 1400mA (that's max according to specs) to get to 21.6 v. The minimum for that driver is 43v.

You May get lucky and get a bunch of high voltage strips but I doubt it.

If you want to run with that driver, I would look into an gen 1 strips, or the vesta's.
NothinYet is my nickname
sato108
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I was thinking gen 2s. Is there much of a difference between the 2 generations? Will the suggestion of series/parallel combo writing work? Trying not to buy another driver if I don't have to. Other option is to buy Sammy double strips but I like the idea of getting more diodes for about the same price
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

The gen 2's have more diodes per strip, and lumens per watt. gen 1s work really well though.

The 2'strips have a typical vf of 19.5-20.5. Combining two strips in series would only typically give you 39-42v. The minimum voltage acceptance of that driver is 43v. So typically, it wouldn't work. I would get different strips for that driver, such as some Samsung or vesta.
NothinYet is my nickname
sato108
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thank you guys. I really appreciate your help. :mrgreen: 👍
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

sato108 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:48 pm
Thank you guys. I really appreciate your help. :mrgreen: 👍
I forgot to add gen 1 eb strips would work too. Along with vesta or Samsung.
NothinYet is my nickname
Grower
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Lol my fault I did not check the driver datasheet.
Vesta strips should work good too!
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Grower wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 6:30 pm
Lol my fault I did not check the driver datasheet.
Vesta strips should work good too!
It's all good. That's what we are here for is to learn from each other. Mistakes happen. This forum isn't like the others where you get flamed for every little mistake *cough* riu *cough* lol
NothinYet is my nickname
FlippyNips
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

The constant current region for that driver is 24-48v it would work by running pairs of strips in series and turning down the current potentiometer but if one of the strips goes out for any reason the current would be shared between the remaining series wired pairs probably overpowering them.