HLG-240H-C1750, 4 x qb132 build

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
TerpyTyrone
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Nuggie wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:47 pm
TerpyTyrone wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:05 pm
If I do that it will run at 240w correct?
These are rated up to 75w , so I'm good to run em at full strength for long durations without problems?
Your advice is appreciated. I am new to the forum
Running at 60W and being rated for 75W that gives you a 1.25 safety factor - your good to go.

On the driver side you'll be running it at full tilt. You should contact meanwell on whether you need a safety factor - each driver mfg will have their own recommendations. When I ordered my Inventronics drivers I asked their applications engineer if I could run at 100% and she said that the safety factor had already been built in over and above 100% but said that question is product specific. From another viewpoint my local electrician advised me to put a safety factor on the driver as low as 1.15 but target 1.20. An engineer with a lighting company that I saw on youtube advises to put a 1.25 safety factor on the driver so if you wanted 240W you would need a driver capable of 240 x 1.25 = 300W.

It ultimately is case specific as it depends on ambient temperature/cooling/how hard its run. These parameters will give you the case temperature of the driver - if you have the driver running in -20C at full tilt I wouldn't go with any safety factor. In the end its ultimately up to the end user but putting a temperature sensor gun ($20) on it and it will tell you all you need to know by checking the temperature at the TC point on the driver and then compare this to the driver spec's - this will give you the expected lifetime in hours.

The case temperature is also what the manufacturer would want to know should a warranty issue arise.
Whats a TC point?
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Thanks for reminding me, I meant to attach a picture, its a designated spot on the driver to read the temperature at.
HLG-240H-C1750_TC_point.png
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
TerpyTyrone
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Nuggie wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:55 am
Thanks for reminding me, I meant to attach a picture, its a designated spot on the driver to read the temperature at.

HLG-240H-C1750_TC_point.png
Well I guess U will upgrade to the 320 verion next time so I can still use the 4 qb132 @60w and not be taxing the driver.
I guess I will see how hot it gets running wide open.
I imagine there wouldnt be a problem keeping it in the tent with the light.
In my model I have in mounted to the frame.
Its not even a sure if im keeping it in the tent yet.