A Sneak Peek at Some HLG QB Prototypes

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Any guesses from anyone as to what diodes the SX 324 board is made of?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

LEDG wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:42 pm
Any guesses from anyone as to what diodes the SX 324 board is made of?
a white diode that's going to do 3.0 umole/j?? πŸ˜„ lol I can't tell what they are..
Last edited by Jolly Green Giant on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:41 pm
majorana wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 pm
The main appeal behind the Nichia seems to be the 90 CRI availability. Regarding the 480 chip board, I think its utility would really depend on its price. If it doesn't cost a whole ton more than a regular QB, you should be able to get some wicked efficiency by driving it quite low.

When comparing the same diode there's significant anecdotal evidence (that you too have shown!) that 90CRI is more efficient than 80, despite the lower efficacy (in terms of lumens per watt.) Using an entirely different diode, which to begin with already has lower efficacy, is putting out something entirely different. Perhaps 140lpw@90CRI would be more efficient (in terms of grams per watt) than a 180lpw@80CRI, but it would definitely be a challenge and remains to be proven. Apples to apples.

As for the 480 board, I agree that driving softer is always a good idea. But if the board itself will be more expensive (in $/W), and would also require a more expensive heatsink setup, I'm not sure where's the appeal any more.

But then again, I'm a hobbyist with a limited budget. If I could afford it, I'd pay the fairly modest premium HLG ask for (when compared to ordering from suppliers and going fully DIY) and save myself quite a bit of hassle. I know there are people out there who have different considerations / deeper pockets, who would probably find this crammed 480 board particularly appealing.

Yeah, it'd be difficult to pit different spectrums with different efficiencies against one another and make the comparison fair and equal.

As I say, I'm most eager to try the 480 board just to find out what sort of temperature and light output I get from it at, say, the same power as you'd run a QB288.
Can you share the dimensions of the QB480?
Tony
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

@LEDG
Could you give the dimensions of the QB96 also. And what is the parallel voltage of the board.
Maxxor
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Last edited by Maxxor on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Humple wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Can you share the dimensions of the QB480?
Same profile as the QB288 and 304.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Tony wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:10 am
@LEDG
Could you give the dimensions of the QB96 also. And what is the parallel voltage of the board.
22.5" x 2.5"

It's an 8Sx12P configuration, so voltage will be 23-24V and that'd put max current at 2.4A.

majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote: ↑
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:39 pm
a white diode that's going to do 3.0 umole/j?? πŸ˜„ lol I can't tell what they are..

I'm slowly reading my way thru SAG's lighting guide, but there is a mention, which isn't followed up on, on a new 3 uMol/J light. (He can be verbose, but there's plenty to learn.)