QB132 POWER SUPPLY WARM

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
2chains
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Initially purchased a HLG 185h c1400 to power 4 QB132's but am thinking to run a single board instead of the four.

Hooked up a Meanwell LPF-60-36 as recommended by HLG site to one board but now getting a lot of heat from the power supply which is mounted on the board. Did I misread the HLG recommendations?
Eman
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Drivers will produce good amount heat when ran at 100%, are you able to get a temperature reading? Is it getting too hot to touch?
2chains
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have no experience with the power supplies although I've learned a lot on here. Not sure if/how hot they are supposed to get with the QB132(heard they run cool) and if I hooked things up wrong? Here are the driver specs:

http://download.siliconexpert.com/pdfs/ ... 0-spec.pdf

QB132 75w max 36v 2000ma

I can touch the supply but uncomfortably warm. What can I use to measure the driver temps?
2chains
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Would this different driver run significantly cooler? Looking at this one and also has a ground wire.

https://ca.mouser.com/datasheet/2/260/r ... 109604.pdf
2chains
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'll try to post pic of QB..

Kiwi_Jezza
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Having an earth conductor won't change the thermal efficiency of the driver.
Meanwell drivers are pretty robust and you'd need to have quite a warm ambient temperature coupled with high load to overwhelm its passive cooling.

Whether or not its heat will effect the QB is tough to know without some tangible numbers.

Are you able to use some washers or something similar to space the driver off the board just a few millimetres?
2chains
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the reply. I tried to attach a pic but can't get it to work. Not sure if you need a minimum post count for that?

I can raise the drivers, (I built a double QB132 board with two drivers), off the board. Thanks for the idea to check out with washers. I'm going to try that.

I'm also wondering if the HLG 60H 36 driver would run any cooler hooked up to one QB132? I'm a total noob and hoping one of the experts on here can chime in. I've attached the spec sheet above for reference.
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Don't stress too much, man. These things can take a lot of heat. What you think of as hot as is more likely just warm by the standards of a redlined Meanwell. If you can keep your hand on it, it's definitely not too hot.
2chains
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for letting me know. I raised the drivers up off the boards and they are same temps heat isn't coming off the boards.. My first grow and probably stressing about every little thing as you mentioned. :oops:
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

IMAG0270.jpg
2chains wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:56 pm
Thanks for letting me know. I raised the drivers up off the boards and they are same temps heat isn't coming off the boards.. My first grow and probably stressing about every little thing as you mentioned. :oops:
Good move on elevating the drivers off the boards. I think it should always be done.