Distance from canopy quantum board

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
DavidHike
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Just finished a Black DOG & Remo chemo with 260w HLG, 12 inches from the top, I'm thinking I could have got closer because the yield on the Black Dog seems low.

Just cut a florida Gold and the buds are fat and chucky from under the HPS, i'm not convinced these boards are as good as the hype is saying. Was my first round with them though.
DavidHike
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

It's not very accurate comparison because there were LED's on the side of the HPS section.

Just weighed the BD and it's yielded quite well for only 130w of power so am pleased.

I want lenses though, can the Optical Lenses be fitted to both types of board? I got the 300
DavidHike
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

https://www.verical.com/datasheet/ledil ... 851479.pdf

Those ones according to HLG, is it one lens for two rows?
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

DavidHike wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:53 am
It's not very accurate comparison because there were LED's on the side of the HPS section.

Just weighed the BD and it's yielded quite well for only 130w of power so am pleased.

I want lenses though, can the Optical Lenses be fitted to both types of board? I got the 300
Why do you want lenses?

I just finished my third run of Black D.O.G.. Easily my favorite strain ever (yet).
Doctor Ledpot
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I am in interested in pros and cons of lenses, and how various lenses might perform with the QBs. I gather that there is a trade-off, i.e. lenses may direct more light downward towards the canopy(rather that losing it off to the sides)but the downsides are a loss of light transmission, of probably at least 6%, and also increased temps of the boards. Of course the heat issue could be mitigated by fans/cooling. Probably a lot depends upon individual circumstances, such as tent/reflective surfaces vs open area etc..
DavidHike
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Humple wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 pm
DavidHike wrote:

Why do you want lenses?

I just finished my third run of Black D.O.G.. Easily my favorite strain ever (yet).
Pulled off around 3 oz and it's very tasty, it only vegged under 50w of led for 5 weeks then QB, if i lowered it
taken off the heat i would have got 4 from it.
Doctor Ledpot wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:48 pm
I am in interested in pros and cons of lenses, and how various lenses might perform with the QBs. I gather that there is a trade-off, i.e. lenses may direct more light downward towards the canopy(rather that losing it off to the sides)but the downsides are a loss of light transmission, of probably at least 6%, and also increased temps of the boards. Of course the heat issue could be mitigated by fans/cooling. Probably a lot depends upon individual circumstances, such as tent/reflective surfaces vs open area etc..
I'm just going to try and get them closer, I found with the TLED secret jrdin the leaves were touching the lens so they don't bleach too close. I was interested in lenses because the lower sections were thin. I topped the BD too many times also for such a short plant and the light simply wasn't penetrating from 12"

I love these boards now.
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

DavidHike wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 pm
Pulled off around 3 oz and it's very tasty, it only vegged under 50w of led for 5 weeks then QB, if i lowered it
Which pheno did you get? Mine smells like gasoline, tastes like dirt and lemons, and is every bit as frosty as the frostiest bud I've seen. I've heard of another pheno that really shows the Blackberry Kush genetics, with strong, sweet berry flavors - but I really dig the earthy/citrus I get from mine. Extremely potent too
DavidHike
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Humple wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:00 pm
DavidHike wrote:
Which pheno did you get? Mine smells like gasoline, tastes like dirt and lemons, and is every bit as frosty as the frostiest bud I've seen. I've heard of another pheno that really shows the Blackberry Kush genetics, with strong, sweet berry flavors - but I really dig the earthy/citrus I get from mine. Extremely potent too
Mines like blackberry kush, i noticed the berry hint in early veg
DavidHike
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

8 inches from top of and 12 inches on the sides now, as soon as it hits 6 inches move back up to 8 inches.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

DavidHike wrote:
Humple wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 pm
DavidHike wrote:

Why do you want lenses?

Doctor Ledpot wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:48 pm
I'm just going to try and get them closer, I found with the TLED secret jrdin the leaves were touching the lens so they don't bleach too close. I was interested in lenses because the lower sections were thin. I topped the BD too many times also for such a short plant and the light simply wasn't penetrating from 12"

I love these boards now.

I just ran a 730w lg plasma for a few rounds, because I come from HID's, and thought that if anything would give me penetration. I tested plants 1-2m away, and they grew fine, but the spectrum was so pleasing to the plants, that I could keep a few weeks old plant 20cm from the bulb for days, without causing any visible stress.
I still didn't get anything in the way of penetration. It seemed how ever far away/ close the plants were, they would only bud well in the parts hit by direct light. I cut leaves, but everything filled back quickly, and not all the plants liked loosing leaves either.

In RIU theres a bunch of guys using side lighting in various ways, but with good results. I imagine its more effective to bring the lights close, rather to look for strategies to penetrate from above.
Also I was looking at optics when I got strips, but the optics cost almost as much as the strips, which begged the question: could you achieve better results by doubling your strips or adding optics. Seems to cost about the same. I think the more crammed your plants are, the more you would benefit from adding sidelighting. Probably if your growspace has more air/ empty space then colas, then strong top lighting will do very well.

Now for two days I have been testing side lighting, using 12.5w per foot. No visible damage even though some leaves are about 1cm from the strips. Even though I added the side lighting towards the end of week six, that area is perking up and already looking better then the areas that receive no side light.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"