QB120 x 3 - Safe distance above plants?

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
peacfrog69
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sorry if this belongs in a different forum section...

I just put together a setup with 3 x 3000K QB120 boards, so ~185 watts. Setup is in picture below.
Grow Cabinet w LED Lights.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the minimum safe height would be so that I don't cause my tips to burn? I'm also a bit worried at running out of headroom in this grow box - I plan to learn how to scrog with this plant, but even then, I'm not sure if I'll have enough height to keep the light far enough away for optimum growth.

Also - this is my first experience with LED lights. Should I be getting a pair of sunglasses for when I'm around them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

peacfrog69 wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:55 pm
Sorry if this belongs in a different forum section...

I just put together a setup with 3 x 3000K QB120 boards, so ~185 watts. Setup is in picture below.

Grow Cabinet w LED Lights.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the minimum safe height would be so that I don't cause my tips to burn? I'm also a bit worried at running out of headroom in this grow box - I plan to learn how to scrog with this plant, but even then, I'm not sure if I'll have enough height to keep the light far enough away for optimum growth.

Also - this is my first experience with LED lights. Should I be getting a pair of sunglasses for when I'm around them?

Thanks in advance for your help!
If your driver is maxxed, you're running at more than 185w. Those A-type drivers can give up to 20% more current than the model numbers would have you think!

If the fixture is turned all the way up, I'd say you're too close. Keep an eye out for signs of stress - these lights are intense.

Looks like plenty of headroom to me. Just don't let the plant get too tall before it hits the screen.

Sunglasses wouldn't hurt, but I just make sure I don't look directly at the diodes.
FlippyNips
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Your set up looks like its bending the boards, which probably won't do them much good. If you moved the mounting points about 4" from each end it would improve but overall I think some 3/4" or 1" angle down each side would be better.