Drivers for Sol-Skin 2 channel board?

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Exactly. These put out 195lm/w, so they are at least theoretically more efficient than the EB strips, too.

I can't wait to put it all together! I still need to order the aluminium sheet and thermal paste/tape. I've read that paste has better heat transfer, but thermal tape is certainly easier to use. For prototyping, I assume I can get away without heatsinking.
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

How thick is the sheet. 1/8th in Is recommended. But 1/16th has been known to work as a sheet. I would recommend cutting a few air holes in the sheet though for air flow.

If You can find thermal adhesive that would probably work best. thermal tape, or thermal paste + screws will work as well.

I would recommend some kind of heat sink. The cooler you run led's the longer they will last. But you can do without if needed and run soft enough.
NothinYet is my nickname
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I have various thicknesses available. I was going to go for 2.5mm, which is a bit less than 1/8", but I can get 4mm for not much more and that's close to 1/8". Thanks for the air hole suggestion, too.

Since Cutter says an aluminium sheet is enough at 700mA, I will probably stick with that and maybe add a fan blowing over it as heatsinks would add significantly to the cost. The driver has a 12v auxiliary output, so that should be perfect for a small computer fan. If I upgrade to a more powerful driver, I would definitely consider heatsinks. But by then, there will probably be even better LEDs!
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Sounds like you have it down. I saw someone on riu used 1/16th and it was enough for the eb series. I would go for the thicker one, since it's not much more. You should also add something along the sheet to make it more rigid if need be. The air holes aren't so much for the cooling, but airflow through the tent. = D good luck!
NothinYet is my nickname
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I think I'll run it a bit dim to get closer to 30w/sq. ft to save on electricity and improve longevity that way.

The next step will be wiring and programming an Arduino-clone to use as a wireless dimmer. :twisted: