Quantum board 120 potentiometer NOT dimming

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Faultedground
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello all, I've been looking around everywhere for answers but I can not find them.
I have 2 quantum board 120, wired in series with HLG120h-48b, I asked a buddy who works with computers what potentiometer I should use. I was counfused more when I started reading.
I ended up using "100W 100 Ohm Ceramic Wirewound Potentiometer Rotary Resistor Rheosta"
My problem is it is not dimming at all, I know it's not enough ohms, but my second issue is, it it resisting any current the lights seem dimmer than what I've scene on videos of thes.
Thirdly I purchased a 100k ohm 1/2 w potentiometer, do I need to add a resistor or not?
I don't plan on dimming much unless I have seedlings and even then I feel more comfortable just turning dial half way rather than soldering in more components. Thank you very much for any assistance
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

You need a 100kohm linear taper potentiometer. Get a multimeter and test the resistance of the potentiometer and see if it's 100k or not. If it's below 100k, you might need a resistor.
NothinYet is my nickname
Faultedground
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

It's defiantly not 100k it max out at 128 the lights do not dim at all, but my other question, being it's 100w is that why my light seems more dim than the review if sceen of these,
What does the watt mean in the potentiometer world,
What is the difference between a 100w 100k ohm and a 1/2w 100k ohm
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

It refers to how much power you can put through it. The Meanwell dimmer circuit has practically no power to it. Far less than a watt.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Futuregrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Score yourself a B100K potentiometer, that'll do the trick.
Faultedground
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

yes, I did get a 1/2 watt, 1000k pot., but why with the 100w, was it not dimming at all, and with the 1000k one its a lot brighter all togather, was the other Potentiometer aculaly resisting 100 watts? I would like to know why and how this all does togather. thanks ll for the help
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

What was the resistance of the 100w pot. It's all in the resistance in ohms for how it dims. The wattage is for how much wattage the dim leads output.
NothinYet is my nickname