Quantum Board Layout for a 4x4

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
ZzackRaw
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi!
I’ve only been growing for about a year and a half. Started with a mars hydro 300, upgraded to a Spectrum King 140W almost a year ago, and now i’m building a rig much like this custom HLG 550 for my 4x4 space.

I’m using 4x 288.2s from Atreum (they come with heatsinks) and a HLG 480 series driver B with a dimmer. I want to have them all running in series and i’m debating running the SK140 in conjunction.

There’s some guys on this thread with real knowledge and i’d love some opinions if anyone has time!

My big questions are:

1. How should I lay these out to cover my 4x4? - they’re actually square and slightly more efficient than the 288s from HLG so this may change things.
2. Should I run my SK140 in conjunction with these lights or would that be overkill? And if so, how should I design the frame to utilize the SK140 as well. (So far i’m working with 4x 4’ pieces of 1/8th" thick 3/4th" aluminium).

Thanks,

Zack
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

for a 4x4 space you need about 480w, and you want to spread it out as evenly as possible. Probably won't be needing any extra. Do you run CO2?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ZzackRaw
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

No Co2. So the 140w would basically be overkill at that point?
In that case I may just use it to veg.

Thank you!
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

That is a rule of thumb, people used to advise 50w/ square foot with HID, and seem to advise 30w per foot with leds. I guess this takes into account efficiency, but I doubt it takes into account thermodynamics, which suggest that with a single light source halving the distance to the light should quadruple light intensity.

I am assuming that light distance and placing is where the biggest gains can be made.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"