QB 132 x 4 in Parallel? Driver/Diagram halp?

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Rowyn
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Halp plz electrically inclined world of LED Gardening!! :(

I have spent hours poring through the forums and YouTube and now I’m concerned I picked up the wrong driver for the QB 132 x 4 set I got. It’s for my 3 x 1.5 x 6 tent.

According to another post here, and the HLG website I can use the HLG-120H-36A I picked up off of amazon, but reading through more I am worried it won’t be powerful enough to run all 4? Also, they have a series diagram up on the HLG site but there is no diagram for parallel. Would somebody happen to know a link to one or be able to assist? I’ve looked up some basic wiring in parallel tutorials and I get the gist of it but I am scared to fry anything. I am picking up 18g solid core wire/Waco’s/nema plug per the video guide but is there anything else I need? I plan on soldering the ends all nicey nice and mounting is all on a sheet of something, haven’t decided what yet.

I am relatively handy for a girl with some mechanical experience and can solder, etc. but I will have assistance wiring this because I’m not into burning my house down. Plus I don’t want to wreck these boards, but I do want to use them on my next run so I can retire my blurple.

I know there are a lot of these questions but I can’t seem to find the exact answer for my setup, my apologies in advance if these questions are tiresome.

Cheers!

Rowyn
rubberduck
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

edit
Last edited by rubberduck on Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

That driver can drive the 4 QB132 just fine, but you may find it's not enough power for the size of your grow space. 120/(3x1.5)=20w/sf, that's on the low side. You may be happier with a 200W driver.
Indiva710
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have x4 qb132s 3500k as well but I am running in series as it is safer on if you have board failure you wont have thermal runaway and can damage the other boards so series is thee way to grow...I am running the HLG-240H-C1750a driver as well for all 4 and it works great I have it running at full power which does 60w per light however I would rather of done the 320h driver instead and set them to run up to 75w if need be but would have to meter it as the 320 could do 80w+ which wouldn't be to good so to be safe the 240h-c1750a is the way to go..I am vegging only with these and actually my 288v2 4000k will be here today I'm going to switch and see what I like better or may do a mix of both but the 3500k for veg has been wonderful flower is great too you will have smaller more trichromes than with a 3000k though so quality over quantity on that anyways
Attachments
15397030577316187430982418092455.jpg
Rowyn
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Excellent, thank you guys so much. I will probably upgrade my driver then and probably stick with series wiring, I really don’t want to screw up these boards but I want to get this rolling.

I appreciate the input! You are all awesome!
exige
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Indiva710 wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:18 pm
I have x4 qb132s 3500k as well but I am running in series as it is safer on if you have board failure you wont have thermal runaway and can damage the other boards so series is thee way to grow...I am running the HLG-240H-C1750a driver as well for all 4 and it works great I have it running at full power which does 60w per light however I would rather of done the 320h driver instead and set them to run up to 75w if need be but would have to meter it as the 320 could do 80w+ which wouldn't be to good so to be safe the 240h-c1750a is the way to go..I am vegging only with these and actually my 288v2 4000k will be here today I'm going to switch and see what I like better or may do a mix of both but the 3500k for veg has been wonderful flower is great too you will have smaller more trichromes than with a 3000k though so quality over quantity on that anyways
Stupid question im sure. But what are the 4 wires/cords you used from each board to the adjustable hangers? I am looking at doing almost the exact same setup and im stuck on that part and the driver... as I would like the ability to drive them at 70 ish each if needed.
exige
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Never mind on the hangers figured it out. Still stuck on the drivers like the OP I have found 5 different options people suggest haha
carpet1der
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey, look at my posts only one and I have all the parallel wiring there.

I just wired 6 boards using parallel and have a 5 port wagos for the parallel function to not worry about the dreaded thermal runaway. You can place quick blow fuses right before the board so if something does fail it will shut everything down. :mrgreen:

ANY DRIVER questions: https://growerslights.com call them up and Kurt will pick up. MAJOR help there... Quick shippers etc. Don't be afraid of the parallel....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1543