ChilLED Tech's new boards?

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Humple wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:19 am
Ted wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 pm
secondhandname wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:41 pm
I just watched that. Amazing! I can't imagine its going to be very budget friendly though. How the hell does the thing power different voltage devices like that at once though? I thought that was a big no no when wiring up stuff.
My guess is that they are using a constant current DC/DC driver that is being powered by two constant voltage meanwell drivers. That way you can mix and match voltages while keeping the drive current the same. Although It looks like the different channels have different drive currents, so I dunno :(.

I thought they would be introducing new boards since they stopped selling their regular DIY boards, so I'm slightly disappointed. Adding connectors is fine, but between the poke in connectors on the HLG boards and light strips and WAGO connectors, I dont think its a game changer. The power supply is neat, however, I think these features are more aimed toward the commercial grower, someone who needs to wire together many disparate lights easily and efficiently. Also, it looks expensive and probably is.
Yeah, it's the pricing that I find perplexing. You can get more power, with more spread/coverage, at a significantly lower cost, from HLG's Quantum Boards. I think these bells and whistles are pretty fucking rad, and I'm prepared to be swayed by the mono-LED argument they make, but are you really getting your money's worth? Are you getting $500 more, or better, product out of your plants? I really respect mau5's opinion, so I really want to believe, but I guess just don't understand?
I dont understand either. It is an enhancement to their existing offering, but Id rather see them try to be more like HLG and try to get great lights in people’s hands for as little money as possible.

Also, I just want to say, If they put a far red channel on their existing boards, Id buy some.
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I agree it isn't a game changer. I also think the same thing, this isn't going to be a low price thing for the DIY guys like they said they were doing (at least i think i recall them saying that) Perhaps there is more to come as far as just boards go that hit a lower price point.

as far as is it worth the extra money? seems to me about the same price eh? I mean the hlg550 is a 1 for 1 for a 1k single end right? to reach the ppfd of 3 of chilleds 400w lights in a 4x8 youd need 3 hlg550s. A single 400w chilled has better numbers than the hlg in a 4x4, again, same price. (I'm pretty sure anyway, im not an expert with this stuff here, mind you chilleds video shows numbers at 28" and hlg is showing at 24)

So, you save some wattage on the chilled, get better ppfd, and have added monos that may or may not do anything. For my money i'd still go chilled.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Ted wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 pm
secondhandname wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:41 pm
I just watched that. Amazing! I can't imagine its going to be very budget friendly though. How the hell does the thing power different voltage devices like that at once though? I thought that was a big no no when wiring up stuff.
My guess is that they are using a constant current DC/DC driver that is being powered by two constant voltage meanwell drivers. That way you can mix and match voltages while keeping the drive current the same. Although It looks like the different channels have different drive currents, so I dunno :(.

I thought they would be introducing new boards since they stopped selling their regular DIY boards, so I'm slightly disappointed. Adding connectors is fine, but between the poke in connectors on the HLG boards and light strips and WAGO connectors, I dont think its a game changer. The power supply is neat, however, I think these features are more aimed toward the commercial grower, someone who needs to wire together many disparate lights easily and efficiently. Also, it looks expensive and probably is.
For anyone with a little experience building lights, I agree that this new connector system won't change much. It's pretty simple to strip a wire and jam it into a Wago or a Molex. However, I think this will convert a LOT of brand new people who were on the fence about DIY as it makes it much less scary, which is cool. The drive system might prove handy for people with a bunch of different channels and color temps, but most people seem to currently have 4 COBs or 4 boards of the same color and I'm not sure the majority of DIYers will be able to justify the cost. Maybe this will change how people design their builds though; who knows.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Humple
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

secondhandname wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 am
I agree it isn't a game changer. I also think the same thing, this isn't going to be a low price thing for the DIY guys like they said they were doing (at least i think i recall them saying that) Perhaps there is more to come as far as just boards go that hit a lower price point.

as far as is it worth the extra money? seems to me about the same price eh? I mean the hlg550 is a 1 for 1 for a 1k single end right? to reach the ppfd of 3 of chilleds 400w lights in a 4x8 youd need 3 hlg550s. A single 400w chilled has better numbers than the hlg in a 4x4, again, same price. (I'm pretty sure anyway, im not an expert with this stuff here, mind you chilleds video shows numbers at 28" and hlg is showing at 24)

So, you save some wattage on the chilled, get better ppfd, and have added monos that may or may not do anything. For my money i'd still go chilled.
I'd expect the ChilLED light to have higher PPFD in a standard test because the diodes are packed so closely together, but HLG's 550 has WAY better spread (and I believe better coverage). I would bet money that you can bring the 550 much closer to the plants, negating ChilLED's advantage there. And if we're talking DIY, HLG looks even better.
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

good point with the spread. I mean chilled shows the numbers over a 4x4 and they look more even than the numbers hlg posted for the 550 though. chilled is at 28 and hlg is at 24.. chilled is higher on the outsides, hlg a bit higher in the very center. I dont know how to convert those charts into a ppfd number though to know which is actually putting down more light
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

PPF would be a great indicator for how much total light each fixture is outputting. I know the HLG550 is rated for 1200 umols/second but I wasn't able to find info on the chilled boards after a quick search.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

https://youtu.be/Slde-8WuQrA?t=189

That is the only place I've seen a par map. Thats what I am comparing to hlgs par map. Like I said in the center hlg has em by a bit, around the edges it looks like chilled has em by a bit with the single 400w in a 4x4

Other note, you guys see the chilled preorder for the 500w kits? 799$ shots fired at HLG!
stuck in the 60s
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Does anyone know the specifications of chilled 226 boards in his new kit. Quantum boards have a lot more LM561c chips,288 and 304. Chilled looks like a lot less. His Gen2 board had 384 LM561c,36 660nm red.610 nm red,14 445nm blue and 4 UV. Lots of light. Quantum still seem like much better value, especially if you want to add your own reds,blue and uv. Chilled boards look great and really an easy DIY project but quantum look to be a much better value.
Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

stuck in the 60s wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:30 pm
Does anyone know the specifications of chilled 226 boards in his new kit. Quantum boards have a lot more LM561c chips,288 and 304. Chilled looks like a lot less. His Gen2 board had 384 LM561c,36 660nm red.610 nm red,14 445nm blue and 4 UV. Lots of light. Quantum still seem like much better value, especially if you want to add your own reds,blue and uv. Chilled boards look great and really an easy DIY project but quantum look to be a much better value.
Its pretty tough to beat the QBs on price, they're cheaper than the samsung strips on a per diode basis. The chilLed boards are not trying to be the cheapest on the market, and I think they present a more all-in-one sort of package.
Shkronis
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Ted wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:01 pm
stuck in the 60s wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:30 pm
Its pretty tough to beat the QBs on price, they're cheaper than the samsung strips on a per diode basis. The chilLed boards are not trying to be the cheapest on the market, and I think they present a more all-in-one sort of package.
Qb288 is $75, one FB564B strip has 144 chips for $26. I think F-series strips are cheaper per chip than qb's unless I'm counting something wrong.