Which driver ‘drivers would you recommend for 6 QB288 V2 quantum boards?

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Drumtrip8420
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi I’m just about to pull the trigger on 6 of the new V2 QB288 quantum boards to light a 5x5 area. I asked HLG about a driver and was recommended the HLG320H-C1750 my question is could I bump up to the 320H-C2100 to get the extra watts at the board or will this not work.. Thank you for any input/advice.
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Just ordered some triple V2 setups and grabbed the HLG320-C2100B based on voltage data and reassurances in LEDG's write up on the new boards. Should be perfect on paper but no idea why HLG is still pushing the 1750 when they push the 2100's for all the other offerings, and they make a point of claiming to source the lowest voltage bins of the diodes even, but do not carry that to reason that this combo is a potential design win for them because of that. Anyway, shit better work. Got the drivers but not the boards yet, HLG is slow at actually shipping it seems even though they charge for it.

Just checked they should be arriving Thursday if you want to wait for me to test.
I know I'm not right
But I'm not wrong, no, I'm not wrong
Girl, you hate it when I'm too high
But that's where I belong, where I belong
Drumtrip8420
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I was thinking the same thing and when I emailed HLG they recommended the 1750 instead of the 2100 which I found odd considinger the new boards run at a lower voltage and should be able to be run in series “3 boards per driver” which gives about 100+ watts per board.

And that would be great I just ordered my 6 qb288 v2 boards as well and am waiting to order the drivers, new flowering light for a 5x5 area. Finally getting rid of the cheap ass LEDs I started with,
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I've seen they like to run the cautious route, rating their boards well under absolute max and such. So maybe they still consider it cutting it too close for their builds and front line recommendation? Hopefully it is not because some of their boards test well above LEDG's measured specs and they know it might have actual issues.
I know I'm not right
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I have a 320H-C1750A That I can probably crank up to damn near 2100 mA. I’ll wire up three of the new boards in series, crank the driver, and let you know what voltage I get on the circuit. I will use three different boards as well rather than the same three boards I initially tested with.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Was chatting with Robin tonight and asked what was up with the 1750 vs. 2100 recommendation. He said they use the 1750 in the kit because they didn't want to push too close to the limit of the 2100. If you received boards that were on the high side of the typical Vf, and then also had some voltage drop over a long cable run or something, then it could be enough to cause problems that most new people wouldn't know how to fix. Essentially it's just to be sure the kit works for everyone.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Drumtrip8420
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the info, I might just go with the 1750ma now to be on the safe side of things.
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Yep yep there's the Occam's razor.

I'm sure I'll be fine with the 2100.

Thanks G
I know I'm not right
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

You will. They’re just playing it safe.

Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

or you can skip the CC and wire 6 boards in parallel on a HLG-480h-54b ( -48b for V2 ).. that's exactly what I run in my 5x5.. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=56&start=30