Quantum Build opinions

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

You may be right. What you are saying makes more sense. I'm just reporting what was said to me from people who has experienced this. Maybe it varies from driver depending on the tolerance of that driver? I don't know. Maybe I'll stop reporting on this until I get more info.
NothinYet is my nickname
fujiyama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

DaveJonesFan wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:06 pm
Is that how that is? I don't know exactly how that works, but I think my understanding was a bit different on the pots. I thought it was the 0-100% 1:1 with 0-100k ohm pots on the driver, however some of the common inexpensive pots with the higher tolerances of up to 10% (even on some data sheets I was looking at) can indeed come up short of the full 100k ohms the driver leads need to reach 100%, so some add the 10k ohm resistor as the 10% tolerance coverage. This would potentially put an up to 10% deadspot near the top end of the dial, and increase the bottom floor of the dial similarly. The HLG series drivers under 320H level I understood to only dim to 10% on the bottom end even if pot bottoms out to 0 ohm, with the larger drivers allowing the units to dim to turn completely off at 0 ohm. I thought the 'extra current' the CC drivers have been known for is available at the 100% point of the dimmer, provided you can get there. I guess I should go back to LEDG's guides and check all that.

Either way I don't think you'll be doing any harm to the drivers by getting the most possible current out of them when you crank that dial, and the boards would only face threat of harm if that current was surpassing some limit of the board or the cooling solution for the setup.
Thank you for clarifying.

Nothing to worry about here .. I'm happy with what even the cheap potentiometers do and I won't be needing a resistor.