HLG QB324 V2 board, driver and wire questions

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Cannasim
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello! Hope is all good!

I’m new to the forum, have read, and see a lot of content from the LEDGARDNER which inspired me to make my first Quantum board build.

I’m setting up a 3.3x.3.3(100cm x 100cm x 200cm), that’s around 10,89 sqf.

Initially i was thinking in the 4x QB 120, then i have got the suggestion to go either with the QB324 v2 or the elite v2, choose the 324 as it felt like a better spread for my space, the suggested driver was the HLG-320H-54a in parallel.

A1. About the wirering, what is the difference between wire in parallel or series for this boards with this driver, or parallel and series like in the hlg website illustrates?

A2. Is there any possible way I could blow or damage the boards with this driver match?

B1. Is there a better way to run them then full power for efficiency wise? Woul you suggest to dim them down a percentage?

If you have any additional info I appreciate. HLG is very incompleat withi this board info.

Cheers best regards!
WhiteRecluse
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

If you are here because HLG doesn't respond to emails, I feel you pain.

A1- parrallel wiring is connecting the positive driver lead to the positive board lead of every board. Then connecting the negative lead to the negative terminal of every board. Series is connecting the driver + to first board + and the driver - to the last board -. Then connect each board + to the next board - in the series.

A2- a proper heatsink for that board would be 150w per board. That driver and light work. I'm seeing around 52v per board at 2800mA. And you would be running around 3.

B1- running more boards at the same wattage would increase the efficiency. For instance if you run 4 on this same driver you go from 2.53 to 2.77 umol/j.
Cheers!
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Welcome!

LEDGardener has videos highlighting every aspect of DIY builds.
He explains everything masterfully.
You'll not only learn the basic fundamentals, but the safety aspects involved as well.

Go to the main page ledgardener.com or his youtube channel and watch the videos on wiring series and parallel, and the HLG driver videos. From there you'll probably be hooked and watch every video on his channel like I did!
Cannasim wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:28 am
If you have any additional info I appreciate.
Cannasim
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

WhiteRecluse wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:11 am
If you are here because HLG doesn't respond to emails, I feel you pain.

A1- parrallel wiring is connecting the positive driver lead to the positive board lead of every board. Then connecting the negative lead to the negative terminal of every board. Series is connecting the driver + to first board + and the driver - to the last board -. Then connect each board + to the next board - in the series.

A2- a proper heatsink for that board would be 150w per board. That driver and light work. I'm seeing around 52v per board at 2800mA. And you would be running around 3.

B1- running more boards at the same wattage would increase the efficiency. For instance if you run 4 on this same driver you go from 2.53 to 2.77 umol/j.

Thanks a lot!!! Yes they don’t answer anything i called them but the guy did not know much... above that this boards do not have the specs and guides as the others...

What i meant with the wireing is if there is a difference on performance using one way or the other.

The heatsink shoul be fine then.
Cannasim
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hydrofood wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:00 pm
Welcome!

LEDGardener has videos highlighting every aspect of DIY builds.
He explains everything masterfully.
You'll not only learn the basic fundamentals, but the safety aspects involved as well.

Go to the main page ledgardener.com or his youtube channel and watch the videos on wiring series and parallel, and the HLG driver videos. From there you'll probably be hooked and watch every video on his channel like I did!
Cannasim wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:28 am
If you have any additional info I appreciate.
Thanks!!! I have seen them and all should be good for the build.

On the specifics of the QB324 are my doubts,
There is limited info on this and customer support is lacking from their part...

As there are may drivers to choose is hard to decide and antecipate the results for a novice in the field like me.

Cheers!!
WhiteRecluse
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

These boards run about 140w at 2800mA. On the hlg-320h-54 driver you can get a few more mA of current vs the 320h-c2800. The base current of the -54 is 5.95, that is split between the boards resulting in 2.975 amps per board roughly. That brings total wattage closer to 150w per board.
Cheers!
Cannasim
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

WhiteRecluse wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:41 pm
These boards run about 140w at 2800mA. On the hlg-320h-54 driver you can get a few more mA of current vs the 320h-c2800. The base current of the -54 is 5.95, that is split between the boards resulting in 2.975 amps per board roughly. That brings total wattage closer to 150w per board.
Thanks a lot!
This results change if i wire in parallel from wire in series?
WhiteRecluse
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Constant current driver generally require series wiring (c2100). Contant voltage require parralel wiring (-48a or b)
Cheers!
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

There’s nothing special about the QB324.
That’s why I suggest learning the fundamentals. You’ll then be able to answer a lot of the questions you have and actually understand the concepts.

We have all been in your shoes. Problem is, there’s no perfect option for any build. There’s millions of parts with billions of possible configurations.

Once you learn the fundamentals, they will apply to any board, driver, cob... Just a little basic understanding goes a VERY long way in figuring out exactly what will work best for you!

You said you’ve seen all his videos?
Cannasim
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hydrofood wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:04 am
There’s nothing special about the QB324.
That’s why I suggest learning the fundamentals. You’ll then be able to answer a lot of the questions you have and actually understand the concepts.

We have all been in your shoes. Problem is, there’s no perfect option for any build. There’s millions of parts with billions of possible configurations.

Once you learn the fundamentals, they will apply to any board, driver, cob... Just a little basic understanding goes a VERY long way in figuring out exactly what will work best for you!

You said you’ve seen all his videos?
I have seen the HLG builds, driver series, and a few others, I have to dive and study more, some concepts are new to me.

Some of my questions are spoken in the series but is hard to tell in the specifics how a combination of a certain board will behave paired to a specific driver, and if that is the best choice as a combo. I get your point on the variaty there is and how difficult is to antecipate the end result.

I appreciate you taking the time to give your thoughts.

Cheers!