A Sneak Peek at Some HLG QB Prototypes

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Because I'm so fond of all you forum members, I have some neat stuff that I'm able to share. Hop on the HLG hype train and check these bitchin' test boards out.

Note - these are just protoype boards and may not actually make it to production. HLG is currently doing extensive testing on these units and will only mass-produce them if they perform. If they do make production, these will be premium boards and will cost more than the LM561C units. If successful, I have no timeline on when they might hit the market but I don't think it will be anytime soon.

This is the 90 CRI version of the QB288 I've been testing. It uses Nichia diodes and is a 100V+ board. It's doing great in my jalapeno grow test right now:
DSC09103.jpg
DSC09103.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 1340 times
DSC09104.jpg
DSC09104.jpg (994.91 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
DSC09104.jpg
DSC09104.jpg (994.91 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Check this thing out: here's a board with 480 of these diodes. The diodes are rated for 1.2 watts a piece, so if you can keep it cool enough, this thing could handle about 600 watts. This beast will require major cooling if you get anywhere close to this power though. Very eager to test this one:
DSC09106.jpg
DSC09106.jpg (991.96 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
DSC09111.jpg
DSC09111.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 1340 times
DSC09112.jpg
DSC09112.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 1340 times

Any guesses as to what this baby's made of? Geeeeeeeeeet puuuuuuuuuumped:
DSC09117.jpg
DSC09117.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1340 times
DSC09120.jpg
DSC09120.jpg (770.88 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

These things are going to absolutely rock for rack/shelf builds, or hanging over seedlings and clones. They are standard LM561C and come with the same DC barrel connector or molex style connector as the QB120s do. My units shipped in breakable bunches:
DSC09101.jpg
DSC09101.jpg (560.27 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
DSC09099.jpg
DSC09099.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1340 times
DSC09100.jpg
DSC09100.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 1340 times

Test data to follow.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Budsie
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Wow those look sick
oozing
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

:shock:
I wish they put that mixed spectrum board up for grabs already..

LEDG, do you know if they will be putting out new items for sale on this next restock?
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Not sure how I feel about this. Isn't part of the nice thing about mid-power LEDs that you don't need expensive heatsinks / active cooling? I'm also not sure I see the point in fitting 480 diodes so tightly, given that at 600W you're probably looking at a 4'*4' space.

And by pure coincidence, earlier today I combed the Nichia catalogue, but couldn't find anything that beats the LM561c/301b. Why would this new board be more expensive then?

I feel like I'm missing out on something, besides moving to 90CRI.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 pm
Not sure how I feel about this. Isn't part of the nice thing about mid-power LEDs that you don't need expensive heatsinks / active cooling? I'm also not sure I see the point in fitting 480 diodes so tightly, given that at 600W you're probably looking at a 4'*4' space.

And by pure coincidence, earlier today I combed the Nichia catalogue, but couldn't find anything that beats the LM561c/301b. Why would this new board be more expensive then?

I feel like I'm missing out on something, besides moving to 90CRI.
The main appeal behind the Nichia seems to be the 90 CRI availability. Regarding the 480 chip board, I think its utility would really depend on its price. If it doesn't cost a whole ton more than a regular QB, you should be able to get some wicked efficiency by driving it quite low. A lot of these LM561C boards are being driven at 70% or harder. From what I've gleaned, it's unlikely that these Nichia boards will see the production line, although I'm not sure what a better alternative is for a 90 CRI mid power chip.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Maxxor
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Last edited by Maxxor on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Maxxor wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:41 am
Can somebody please enlighten me as to the horticultural advantage of 90 CRI vs 80 CRI?
Is it worth the extra initial investment to obtain components to build a higher CRI LED grow light?
Is it even possible for hobbyists to do so? (When I built my Cree CXB 3070 rig, 90 CRI COBS had to be purchased 100 at a time from Mouser, yet 80 CRI could be had singly...)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=126. in that topic on here I put a link to a grow journal.. ( he is one of hlg's testers like LG) it's a lot of reading and trolls but he has some info and pictures..
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yay!!! and Boo!!! lol

Yay I'm glad they are getting close to releasing it and I had a feeling they were using the Nichias!!

but BOO......I want HLG boards with added 300-400nm/660m/730nm 😁 kind of like ChilLED but on a single channel!!! I don't want to use 3-4 drivers for 4 boards!!!!!!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 pm
The main appeal behind the Nichia seems to be the 90 CRI availability. Regarding the 480 chip board, I think its utility would really depend on its price. If it doesn't cost a whole ton more than a regular QB, you should be able to get some wicked efficiency by driving it quite low.

When comparing the same diode there's significant anecdotal evidence (that you too have shown!) that 90CRI is more efficient than 80, despite the lower efficacy (in terms of lumens per watt.) Using an entirely different diode, which to begin with already has lower efficacy, is putting out something entirely different. Perhaps 140lpw@90CRI would be more efficient (in terms of grams per watt) than a 180lpw@80CRI, but it would definitely be a challenge and remains to be proven. Apples to apples.

As for the 480 board, I agree that driving softer is always a good idea. But if the board itself will be more expensive (in $/W), and would also require a more expensive heatsink setup, I'm not sure where's the appeal any more.

But then again, I'm a hobbyist with a limited budget. If I could afford it, I'd pay the fairly modest premium HLG ask for (when compared to ordering from suppliers and going fully DIY) and save myself quite a bit of hassle. I know there are people out there who have different considerations / deeper pockets, who would probably find this crammed 480 board particularly appealing.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

majorana wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm
LEDG wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:51 pm
The main appeal behind the Nichia seems to be the 90 CRI availability. Regarding the 480 chip board, I think its utility would really depend on its price. If it doesn't cost a whole ton more than a regular QB, you should be able to get some wicked efficiency by driving it quite low.

When comparing the same diode there's significant anecdotal evidence (that you too have shown!) that 90CRI is more efficient than 80, despite the lower efficacy (in terms of lumens per watt.) Using an entirely different diode, which to begin with already has lower efficacy, is putting out something entirely different. Perhaps 140lpw@90CRI would be more efficient (in terms of grams per watt) than a 180lpw@80CRI, but it would definitely be a challenge and remains to be proven. Apples to apples.

As for the 480 board, I agree that driving softer is always a good idea. But if the board itself will be more expensive (in $/W), and would also require a more expensive heatsink setup, I'm not sure where's the appeal any more.

But then again, I'm a hobbyist with a limited budget. If I could afford it, I'd pay the fairly modest premium HLG ask for (when compared to ordering from suppliers and going fully DIY) and save myself quite a bit of hassle. I know there are people out there who have different considerations / deeper pockets, who would probably find this crammed 480 board particularly appealing.

Yeah, it'd be difficult to pit different spectrums with different efficiencies against one another and make the comparison fair and equal.

As I say, I'm most eager to try the 480 board just to find out what sort of temperature and light output I get from it at, say, the same power as you'd run a QB288.