Dimming Multiple HLG-240H-48B Drivers with single dimmer

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
AutoChickenFarmer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have a few 240W lm301b 3500K boards on a single frame, each with a dedicated HLG-240H-48B drivers - each connected to a potentiometer for dimming. I have decided to add remote dimming/scheduling, but would rather be able to control say 5 of the lights with one dimmer as opposed to building 5 separate dimmers.

Starting this build with the LEDG dimming tutorial using an ESP32, 100 Ohm resistor, and PC817 optocoupler, and connecting the Dim+/- as shown - works great for a single LED Driver.

Questions:
1) Is it possible/safe to connect more than one drivers Dim+/- wires in parallel and use the described dimming circuit above to control those drivers?

2) Referencing this document for 1-10 & 0-10 dimming drivers, https://prolightinggroup.com/wp-content ... rivers.pdf.
"When using this dimming method, it is important to check the current required to provide the analogue signal. For example, you may find that need a current of 0.1ma per LED power supply. Therefore, if you are controlling 3 LED drivers one dimming controller, you will need a current of 0.3ma on the voltage control line."
In our tutorial example - we are delivering 20 mA of control supply for 1 driver/led. If I want to control 5 LED drivers would I need to deliver 20mA x 5 = 100mA on voltage control line? In this case I now surpass max 50mA input for the PC817, so I'd blow it out. I can look for a higher rated optocoupler but am I on the right track to controlling multiple drivers?

3)Last - This dimming controller would need power, ideally not plugged into a socket 100% of the time. Has anyone found a method to add a battery and charger to the ESP controlled dimming circuit? Would be cool to hold at least a 30 day charge on the controller.

Thanks for any help - I'm pretty new to circuitry so advice is very appreciated.
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

You cant connect 5 drivers to a 100k dimmer pot. If i recall correctly you need to divide the 100k by 5 = 20k dimmer pot for 5 drivers but dont quote me on that.
greengenes
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Page 4-6 of the data sheet...
https://www.meanwell.com/Upload/PDF/HLG ... H-SPEC.PDF
Graph on the bottom of page 4 showing resistance/N for various dimming levels. 100/N being 100% output. N=number of drivers.
This is the standard protocol for all meanwell HLG drivers.

100k ohms/5drivers= 20K ohms POT required.