Help with qb288's and driver...

All things related to board-style lights (Quantum Boards, Logic Pucks, etc.)
Indica_Dogo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey all long time no post. But back to playing with LED.
So I bought my dad 2 HLG. QB288 slate 2 doubles. That's 4 QB288 on 2 heat sinks.
I got an hlg 480h-c2100a to drive em in series.
So got em hooked up in series like LEDG video says. But when plugged em in they came on real dim.
I tried to adjust the the summer screw but it made no difference in the light intensity.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Someone suggested it could be a bad connection. And to check for voltage drop.
So I'm gonna try that, although I've not done that before I domt think it's to hard to check, right?

Other then that I'm not sure if its a problem I caused or if it could be bad equipment.

If I hook up just one heat sink with the 2 boards they work fine. But when hooked all together they're really dim.
Attachments
Here's a pic of how I wired them up in series.
Here's a pic of how I wired them up in series.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Looks correct to me. Are they bright with 3 in series? I’d be curious to check the voltage of 2 in series, 3 in series, and 4 in series. You’re sure the polarities are right and you don’t have 2 in parallel somehow splitting the current?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Indica_Dogo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I haven't tried 3 in series but I will.
So to test the voltage I use a multimeter and with the lights on I put the leads on + and - of each board?
I'll also double check the polarity of all the boards.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

That would tell you the voltage of each of the individual boards which works. If you want to check the whole circuit, put your leads at the positive and negative leads of the driver when they’re hooked up to the circuit.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Indica_Dogo wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:09 pm
I haven't tried 3 in series but I will.
So to test the voltage I use a multimeter and with the lights on I put the leads on + and - of each board?
I'll also double check the polarity of all the boards.
If you watch ledg's video on basics of multimeter. It will explain all that.
NothinYet is my nickname
Indica_Dogo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Problem solved! Lol.
Well turns out I was trying to wire two 288's and two 304's together in series!
I guess I didn't realize I had different boards...

But got the 304's on an hlg 480h c2100a in parallel. And have an hlg 240h c2100a coming for the 288's.

Felt pretty dumb when I finally saw what I had done lol.