My HA/grow setup...and some questions

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

this is my ESPHome code i uploaded to my ESP32 via ESPHome AddOn on HA:

esphome:
name: ac_infinity_blower1
platform: ESP32
board: mhetesp32devkit

wifi:
ssid: "xxxx"
password: "xxxxx"

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
password: "YYYYYY"

ota:
password: "XXXXXX"

output:
- platform: ledc
pin: GPIO19
frequency: 3200 Hz
id: ventilation_fan_pwm
min_power: 0.02
max_power: 0.28

light:
- platform: monochromatic
output: ventilation_fan_pwm
name: "AC_Infinity Blower1"

--------------------------------------------------

Home Assistant Discovered automatically if im not mistaking , the slider i added from a repo on github , ,if you want it ill send it to you after
i'm also planning on using the BT on the same ESP32 to get data from my Xiaomi BT Mijaa Temp/Hum sensors and Miflora moisture Sensors , i just dunno yet how many sensors it can handle it
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

stud wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:44 am
this is my ESPHome code i uploaded to my ESP32 via ESPHome AddOn on HA:

esphome:
name: ac_infinity_blower1
platform: ESP32
board: mhetesp32devkit

wifi:
ssid: "xxxx"
password: "xxxxx"

# Enable logging
logger:

# Enable Home Assistant API
api:
password: "YYYYYY"

ota:
password: "XXXXXX"

output:
frequency: 3200 Hz
id: ventilation_fan_pwm
min_power: 0.02
max_power: 0.28

light:
- platform: monochromatic
output: ventilation_fan_pwm
name: "AC_Infinity Blower1"

--------------------------------------------------

Home Assistant Discovered automatically if im not mistaking , the slider i added from a repo on github , ,if you want it ill send it to you after
i'm also planning on using the BT on the same ESP32 to get data from my Xiaomi BT Mijaa Temp/Hum sensors and Miflora moisture Sensors , i just dunno yet how many sensors it can handle it
Awesome! Thank you.

Here is the other code that I was using for fan on the RobotDyn it may or may not help maybe someone smarter than me can figure it out. If you can send the slider whenever can that I think that would be helpful.

fan:
- platform: speed
output: gpio_23
name: "Desk Fan"
id: fan_1
speed:
low: 0.33
medium: 0.66
high: 1

output:
pin: GPIO23
id: gpio_23
frequency: 10000 Hz

I also test out a BLE Mi Flora Sensor for a while and I liked it, the battery status entitiy never did work however from what I read others were having the issue as well. The Xiaomi gear is pretty well documented in esphome.io

Thanks again!
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

saitama wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:24 pm
I have a solution, for now. I would still like to pulse the fan every X often, but the humidity automation handles exchanges/pulses well enough for now! As LEDG hinted, I basically just disable the thermostat(s) when the high humidity automation kicks in (fan on) and enable them when the low humidity automation kicks in (fan off)

Did someone say robotdyn 120v dimmer and no success? I did some research and found out the ESP8266/ESP32 might not be the best solution for this module because they use TRIAC and supposedly sometimes cause flickering. With that said, I am looking at EC motor (pwm controlled) DC fans like the AC Infinity. Just waiting on the right time to buy. For now, I'm basically letting the humidity swings exchange the air in my rooms.

You may be on to something regarding the RobotDyn 120v, if flickered more often than not. I am with you on the AC Infinity fans they look like they are worth the price but I am getting by with cheap inline booster fans so not ready to break down and upgrade to the AC Inifity quite yet. I ended up installing a small 4 inch inline booster fan that kicks on once the humidity gets over 50% and if it goes below 40% my humidifier will kick in.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

you're right , i have both versions of MiFlora , the older model i can still read the battery , newer model does not work the battery entity .must be the firmware version , i will look more deeply into it this winter ...
here's the slider repo :https://github.com/thomasloven/lovelace ... entity-row
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

stud wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:18 am
you're right , i have both versions of MiFlora , the older model i can still read the battery , newer model does not work the battery entity .must be the firmware version , i will look more deeply into it this winter ...
here's the slider repo :https://github.com/thomasloven/lovelace ... entity-row
https://github.com/esphome/issues/issues/107
OttoWinter confirmed new version of MiFlora doesnt send battery data anymore ... =( doesnt matter ,battery is good for 6+ months ,just need to set a reminder to change battery ... ;)
i've runned 6 Miflora's for the last year with no issues and its pretty occurate to set pump to water the plants !
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

saitama wrote:
I have a solution, for now. I would still like to pulse the fan every X often, but the humidity automation handles exchanges/pulses well enough for now! As LEDG hinted, I basically just disable the thermostat(s) when the high humidity automation kicks in (fan on) and enable them when the low humidity automation kicks in (fan off)

Did someone say robotdyn 120v dimmer and no success? I did some research and found out the ESP8266/ESP32 might not be the best solution for this module because they use TRIAC and supposedly sometimes cause flickering. With that said, I am looking at EC motor (pwm controlled) DC fans like the AC Infinity. Just waiting on the right time to buy. For now, I'm basically letting the humidity swings exchange the air in my rooms.
Have you figured out where the Z-C pin gets connected too and the code that controls it? I have not found any code for ESPHome that references the Zero Cross pin.
saitama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

jaysal wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:24 pm
saitama wrote:

Have you figured out where the Z-C pin gets connected too and the code that controls it? I have not found any code for ESPHome that references the Zero Cross pin.
I don't believe there is integration with ESPHome just yet. I watched a few youtube videos and copied some code and used the Arduino IDE. I decided the best solution would be to just go with a PWM controlled fan...so I basically just gave up.
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I was finally able to play with PWM tesing with a 12V computer fan (which is 150 CFM so I may actually use in my grow tent).
PWM Fan.PNG
PWM Fan.PNG (4.17 KiB) Viewed 5359 times
Many thanks to stud for getting me started. I did however use different code on my ESP32 because I preferred being able to control like a traditional fan with low, medium and high settings. See the code below:

fan:
- platform: speed
name: "Desk Fan PWM"
output: desk_fan_pwm
speed:
low: 0.10
medium: 0.50
high: 1

output:
frequency: 20 kHz
id: desk_fan_pwm

The speed values represent percentage, so I can adjust as I see fit. 1 = 100% fan speed etc. This gets me closer to what I want to accomplish which is at X-X humidity turn on fan @ Y speed. Y = low or medium or high.
I have never configured an automation in HA I have only used NodeRed however I feel like I have only scratched the surface, I still have a learning curve.
Roy933
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

jaysal wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:05 am
I have run into the same problem, I like simple solutions so I plan to install a smaller exhaust fan near plant level to remove humidity. This will have its own logic/hardware, so it should not step on the toes of the cooling/heating logic.

So maybe total of 2 thermostats. Cooling/Heating + humidifier/humidity exhaust fan.
That's exactly the setup I'm trying to build up. But I'm stuck at choosing cooler (or heater). I've red about coolers here, but never found a heater thread, so I went googling and found this article. Any of them reliable?