Water level sensor

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Any magic smoke escape?
Morbidbystander
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I'm watching as well. I picked up an "eye" style water senor and it works great. Its basically digital sensor with a board that goes high when it sees water. The great thing is it can see pointed down into the water, pointed up at the water level or horizontal. I'm just worried about salt build up so I'll be using it for the fresh water RO tank when ever I get around to it.

Curious to see your developments.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I'm using a 1Mohm resistor between 3.3V and A0, the floater between A0 and GND. This reads a value between 4 (tank empty) and 270 (tank full).

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Hello World");
}

int sensorValue;

void loop() {

sensorValue = analogRead(A0);
  //client.publish("water/level/float0", sensorValue);

Serial.print("Value: "); Serial.println(sensorValue);
  delay(1000);
}
jeffcourtneydba
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:19 am
I'm using a 1Mohm resistor between 3.3V and A0, the floater between A0 and GND. This reads a value between 4 (tank empty) and 270 (tank full).

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Hello World");
}

int sensorValue;

void loop() {

sensorValue = analogRead(A0);
  //client.publish("water/level/float0", sensorValue);

Serial.print("Value: "); Serial.println(sensorValue);
  delay(1000);
}
Hey Shimbob. Would u mind writing out a quick schematic. I think I know what you mean but Id like to be sure
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

184.jpg
184.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
I suspect it doesn't need to be a 1MOhm resistor, it's only what I happened to find on the shelf and it worked. If there's someone more intimate with electronics feel free to peep up.
jeffcourtneydba
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:01 am
184.jpg

I suspect it doesn't need to be a 1MOhm resistor, it's only what I happened to find on the shelf and it worked. If there's someone more intimate with electronics feel free to peep up.
So it turns out I didnt have my ADE buad rate set to the right setting in my output window. I got her working. I think you hit it on pretty close with the 1M resistor. I bought a 1.5M resistor at Fry's today, cause all they had, and it is too big. I got it to sort of work with a 10K resistor I had laying around but the full rate is at 1024 and it goes down to 700 something then down to 72 empty.

Documentation on the sender talks about the Ohms range is 0-190 output. So since your readings are 4-270 I bet thats pretty much the right size. I dont even know if they make a 1.1M resistor or something like that.

Thanks for all the help
buddiehorsman
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

One of the most popular types of sensor, it is an improved version of float devices with a mechanical switch. Reed switches are distinguished by their low cost, simple and reliable design, as well as the ability to track changes in water level over a wide range. As I filled my huge pool with water using portable sump pump, I wondered how the water level had risen. And for the measurement, I just used a reed switch. The sensor is made in the form of a tube along which the float moves freely. Reed switches are installed inside the tube, the number of which can vary depending on how accurately you need to measure.
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

this is what im using on my reservoirs : https://esphome.io/components/sensor/tof10120.html
i also have 1 of these on the side for a couple of months to test when i get some free time :