My HA/grow setup...and some questions

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
saitama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi all!

Really excited to be a part of this forum. I can't wait to see what others have come up with. After watching LEDG's two-part series on youtube, I was hooked. I've been growing for a few years, but the automation aspect has always been lacking. I had many devices I used to control environment, but they were mostly analog and kind of a pain to maintain. I'm so happy to have finally taken the plunge and setup my own HA config. It's quite the adduction getting all this stuff setup and working. There's almost too much to play with.

My setup:

HyperV VM that lives on my Plex server
ESP8266 with DHT22 sensor running ESPHome for temp/hygrometer
BN-Links and Sonoff S31s running Tasmota fw for fan, heat and light control
Android Tablet IP Webcam for timelapse and realtime video
Veg light - 200w GrowGreen LED board with 192x 3500k and 192x 5000k LM561cs that I bought off another forum member a while back

I would eventually like to incorporate reservoir monitoring w/ level (weight, like LEDG), pH and EC, but would prefer to do it using ESP8266s or without using the tentacle. It's a tad pricey for me at this point.

Looking for some advice here: I am currently using the generic thermostat module to control temps in my tent, since it's in my garage. The space heater keeps the temps up and I have the exhaust fan setup for cooling and humidity control. I would like to run the exhaust fan for maybe 30s-1m every 10 minutes to keep the temps up and exchange air, but also keep humidity at bay. I have automations set up for humidity (on at 65%, off at 55%) but this automation gets overridden by the cooling thermostat, so I need to disable the cooling thermostat to stop it from turning the fan off. Any input is welcome here.

Here's a picture of my dash which is still a work in progress. I'll take any input w/ regard to my lovelace layout as well since it seems a little cluttered and there is probably a lot of information that isn't necessary.

Thanks in advance!

LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Just to confirm, your generic thermostat is running in AC mode and your space heater is running on its own outside of HA?
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I have run into the same problem, I like simple solutions so I plan to install a smaller exhaust fan near plant level to remove humidity. This will have its own logic/hardware, so it should not step on the toes of the cooling/heating logic.

So maybe total of 2 thermostats. Cooling/Heating + humidifier/humidity exhaust fan.
saitama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:54 am
Just to confirm, your generic thermostat is running in AC mode and your space heater is running on its own outside of HA?
I should have been more clear; my apologies. I have two generic thermostats, one for the exhaust vent (in AC mode) and the other thermostat is for the space heater. Both are managed through HA.
I have run into the same problem, I like simple solutions so I plan to install a smaller exhaust fan near plant level to remove humidity. This will have its own logic/hardware, so it should not step on the toes of the cooling/heating logic.

So maybe total of 2 thermostats. Cooling/Heating + humidifier/humidity exhaust fan.
I was hoping there would be some type of bypass logic I was missing.

For now, I have disabled the AC thermostat (exhaust fan) and I'm using a humidity automation (65%/on - 55%/off) to trigger the fan and handle exchanges.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hmm. You could split out the thermostat to 2 automations - 1 for on and 1 for off, and for the "off" automation, set a condition that the humidity is below your desired level.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

in my opinion ,the best solution would be to add ESP32/8266 with ESPHome to your Exhaust Blower utilizing the PWM to control motor speed .
i have automations on home assistant that at x temp it turns fan at x speed ,i'm a new to HA and ESPHome ,not a programmer , and i got this working very easy .
the gray box is a 12v to 5v converter for the ESP32 ,it is abit to big ,i have 1 like this on the way here :
Attachments
ha blower speed.png
ha blower speed.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 3784 times
6inch ac infinity blower 12v.jpg
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

stud wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:32 pm
in my opinion ,the best solution would be to add ESP32/8266 with ESPHome to your Exhaust Blower utilizing the PWM to control motor speed .
i have automations on home assistant that at x temp it turns fan at x speed ,i'm a new to HA and ESPHome ,not a programmer , and i got this working very easy .
the gray box is a 12v to 5v converter for the ESP32 ,it is abit to big ,i have 1 like this on the way here :
Do you mind sharing the fan speed control code for your ESP32 that you use in ESPHome? Also is PWM control only available with a DC motor or can you achieve with an AC motor?
stud
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

jaysal wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:58 pm
stud wrote:
Do you mind sharing the fan speed control code for your ESP32 that you use in ESPHome? Also is PWM control only available with a DC motor or can you achieve with an AC motor?
never tried PWM on 120V ac ,but i might be possible with a device like this plugged into a ESP8266 /32 :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280202 ... autifyAB=0
i bought the blowers recently on Amazon already in mind on addind PWM
12volts .
yes of course i can share the code , this is what a community is made for ....
plus i'm in this forum looking for help to , connecting the EZO-PH to my HA ,i was searching for help on google and i end up finding the video on Youtube from the admins of this forum and i loved the setup .
this is the reason i'm here , hopefully they can share the code to ... :mrgreen:
i will post the code later when i get to my HA . Good Luck with your project !
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

stud wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:20 pm
jaysal wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:58 pm
stud wrote:
never tried PWM on 120V ac ,but i might be possible with a device like this plugged into a ESP8266 /32 :
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280202 ... autifyAB=0
i bought the blowers recently on Amazon already in mind on addind PWM
12volts .
yes of course i can share the code , this is what a community is made for ....
plus i'm in this forum looking for help to , connecting the EZO-PH to my HA ,i was searching for help on google and i end up finding the video on Youtube from the admins of this forum and i loved the setup .
this is the reason i'm here , hopefully they can share the code to ... :mrgreen:
i will post the code later when i get to my HA . Good Luck with your project !
I have this RobotDyn sitting on my desk now lol , I played around with it for a few hours with not much success. Here is some code to get you started. I will post the fan speed control code when I get home.

My problem with the light and fan is similar, with the light it would not dim very smoothly and many times I would get a flicker. With the fan I aimed for low medium and high but could only get low and high to work there was no in between and the low setting the fan was sputtering.

Light Dimming: (Using GPIO23 on ESP32)

light:
- platform: monochromatic
name: "Desk Light"
output: gpio_23

output:
- platform: ledc
pin: GPIO23
id: gpio_23
saitama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have a solution, for now. I would still like to pulse the fan every X often, but the humidity automation handles exchanges/pulses well enough for now! As LEDG hinted, I basically just disable the thermostat(s) when the high humidity automation kicks in (fan on) and enable them when the low humidity automation kicks in (fan off)

Did someone say robotdyn 120v dimmer and no success? I did some research and found out the ESP8266/ESP32 might not be the best solution for this module because they use TRIAC and supposedly sometimes cause flickering. With that said, I am looking at EC motor (pwm controlled) DC fans like the AC Infinity. Just waiting on the right time to buy. For now, I'm basically letting the humidity swings exchange the air in my rooms.