Cheaper alternative to Atlas Scientific?

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
vortex_kl
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi,

Is there any cheaper alternative that I can use beside Atlas Scientific instruments? I know they are reliable but they're very expensive to me. If not all sensors and instruments from them, can I just use a normal peristaltic pumps for example?
saitama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Check out dfrobot. I plan on monitoring ph/ec through their products initially and then upgrading to atlas sensors later on.
vortex_kl
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

saitama wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:13 pm
Check out dfrobot. I plan on monitoring ph/ec through their products initially and then upgrading to atlas sensors later on.
I just checked out dfrobot. Their sensors are indeed cheaper and look promising but for both their pH & EC sensors, it was stated that...

"Attention:
1.The probe is a laboratory-grade probe. Do not immerse in liquid for a long time. Otherwise this will shorten the life of the probe.
2.Platinum black layer is attached to the surface of the sheet metal in the probe. It should avoid any object touching it. It can only be washed with distilled water, otherwise the platinum black layer will be damaged, resulting in inaccurate measurement.
"

So that means we can't just leave the sensors in the nutrient holding tank isn't it?
saitama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

vortex_kl wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:18 pm

I just checked out dfrobot. Their sensors are indeed cheaper and look promising but for both their pH & EC sensors, it was stated that...

"Attention:
1.The probe is a laboratory-grade probe. Do not immerse in liquid for a long time. Otherwise this will shorten the life of the probe.
2.Platinum black layer is attached to the surface of the sheet metal in the probe. It should avoid any object touching it. It can only be washed with distilled water, otherwise the platinum black layer will be damaged, resulting in inaccurate measurement.
"

So that means we can't just leave the sensors in the nutrient holding tank isn't it?
I was honestly only going to use their kits to get off the ground since it includes everything for a fraction of the cost of the atlas stuff, and then upgrade to the atlas probes later on. I believe they're compatible since they also use a bnc connector. Though, dfrobot does sell an industrial probe that seems like it would be more durable.
saitama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

vortex_kl
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

saitama wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:32 am
This looks promising! https://sites.google.com/view/ecphtrans ... authuser=0
Thanks a lot. That indeed looks promising.
ygreq
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I actually bought a really cheap pH sensor from aliexpress. Never tested it though
Autodev
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

This particular model from dfrobot mentions, "The ring PTFE membrane is not easy to be clogged, so the electrode is suitable for long-term online detection."
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1110.html

The text you mentioned above appears to be from the cheaper model.
vortex_kl
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Autodev wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:57 pm
This particular model from dfrobot mentions, "The ring PTFE membrane is not easy to be clogged, so the electrode is suitable for long-term online detection."
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1110.html

The text you mentioned above appears to be from the cheaper model.

Thanks. That's helpful.
Gromyjoe
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

check out Ufireco they have a few products, i just ordered a set from them.. but those wifi ones that come prebuilt look soooooo nice!!!! good price too!