DIY Grow Room Automation w/ Node-Red

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
jaysal
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

shmoove wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:27 am
jaysal wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:08 am
Yes, I am using an ESP32 to connect my temperature sensors and the L298N Motor Drive Controller. The ESP32 connects via Wi-Fi to Home Assistant and Node-Red which is currently running on a RP4.

I have the L298N connected to a 12V 150CFM fan (computer fan) for testing, I have not yet purchased an EC style inline fans (I would like three; air intake, air exhaust and humidity exhaust) that would go inside my grow environment. I am 30 days out from harvest so I don't want to make any drastic changes at the moment.

What model EC fan do you have? Most likely you can use the L298N.

What is the best way to share the code? ESP code will fit here but probably not the best for Node-RED code. I will zip the json and attach for now.

fan pwm.zip
Hey Jaysal,

I am struggling with my PWM setup for L298N and a DC motor peristaltic pump. Do you mind sharing your ESP code? Thanks mate!
Sorry, I just noticed this. Here you go.

Code: Select all

fan:
  - platform: speed
    name: "Desk Fan PWM 1"
    output: desk_fan_pwm_1
    speed:
      low: 0.10
      medium: 0.50
      high: 1
  - platform: speed
    name: "Desk Fan PWM 2"
    output: desk_fan_pwm_2
    speed:
      low: 0.10
      medium: 0.50
      high: 1

output:
  - platform: ledc
    pin: GPIO19
    frequency: 20 kHz
    id: desk_fan_pwm_1
  - platform: ledc
    pin: GPIO18
    frequency: 20 kHz
    id: desk_fan_pwm_2
00schteven
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sweet set up, very inspirational! Originally your dashboard was 100% inside node red?
@stevetheganjafarmer
ppav43
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:38 pm
I’ve also been tinkering with my PWM fan control. I’m now using a MOSFET (must be logic level, I’m using digi-key part number IRLZ44NPBF-ND http://d.digikey.com/c01Q0BQS3NpX0Z7KS053y00) and a PWM pin on an ESP32 and it works well.
Hello There
I want to thank you for your extensive videos and docs!
I saw in your video that you have the same fan AC Infinity inline and you mention that you intercepted the controller.
What lines did you grab in it do you have a schemetic? Are you just tapping into the motor and not worrying about the sensor for temp and humidity I am guessing?
Ebdirtrider
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

gvbz wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:45 pm
Just a quick update on this project, everything is being moved over to Node-Red within Home Assistant. Rather trying to learn how to develop a custom front end for the NR code using some sort of stack, Home Assistant will be used to provide all the same benefits without giving up automation programming in NR. Huge shout out to @LEDG for the recent videos and help with getting up and running! Big updates incoming.
Any updates on on moving over to HA?
saitama
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ppav43 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:48 pm
LEDG wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:38 pm
I’ve also been tinkering with my PWM fan control. I’m now using a MOSFET (must be logic level, I’m using digi-key part number IRLZ44NPBF-ND http://d.digikey.com/c01Q0BQS3NpX0Z7KS053y00) and a PWM pin on an ESP32 and it works well.
Hello There
I want to thank you for your extensive videos and docs!
I saw in your video that you have the same fan AC Infinity inline and you mention that you intercepted the controller.
What lines did you grab in it do you have a schemetic? Are you just tapping into the motor and not worrying about the sensor for temp and humidity I am guessing?
I'm interested in this as well.
sshscp
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I've been wanting to setup my system to optimize for VPD but I have no way to automatically to determine the leaf temperature. Does anyone know how the leaf temp can be detected?
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I'm looking to add some MLX90614 IR sensors into my system eventually. They would simply dangle from above, aiming downwards at the canopy, then an esp to publish the temperature over mqtt.

I think I saw an IR sensor in one of LEDGs' videos?
sshscp
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'll defiantly look into MLX90614 IR sensor. Looks like winner, thanks!
xthursdayx
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

jaysal wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:54 am
This looks great, coming together really well. I have been working on my PWM fan control on my spare time here is my first take on it. I can provide the Node-Red export if anyone feels it will help them.

Temperature Humidity PWM.PNG
@jaysal super late call back, but wondering if you could share the Node-red flow you ended up with? I’m trying to accomplish pretty much the same thing and any help would be awesome. Thanks!