atlas scientific sensors esphome

Home Assistant automation projects, questions, etc. go here.
mauriceatkinson
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have what may be a dumb question but ...
I have HA setup and would love to get my Atlas EZO sensor connect to esphome, however. I have my ezo sensors mounted on the atlas tentacle 3 board therefore there is no micro usb connector that is required to add the sensors into esphome. https://atlas-scientific.com/electrical ... itebox-t3/

Has anybody got theirs working in a similar way? cheers
Morbidbystander
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Welcome.

I'm not 100% sure but the docs for the board you linked is for a Pi. I couldn't find any wiring diagrams for the tentacle but it will definitely need a micro controller to work correctly. Esphome is based for ESP micro controllers so you'll need a Node MCU or ESP32. If you can find the I2C pins on the tentacle you can connect one of those MCUs and report over wifi back to HA.

I'm not familiar with the Pi so someone else might have a better option. I run a VM and ended up using Node Red to pull the data over USB from an Arduino. This is all serial however, but there has to be I2C on Node Red. If you're tentacle is plugged in directly to the Pi you might be able to find it but probably not with Esphome.
sshscp
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

While the Tentacle T3 carrier board was made for the Raspberry Pi it is just using I2C so you can connect it to an ESP32 dev board instead. To accomplish that you will need to:

Wire 3.3V power to PIN 1 of the header to 3.3V on your ESP dev board.
Wire 5v to PIN 1 of the header to the 5V on your ESP dev board.
Wire PIN 9 of the header to GND on your ESP dev board.
Wire PIN 3 of the header to I2C SDA PIN on your ESP dev board.
Wire PIN 5 of the header to I2C SCL PIN on your ESP dev board.

You'll have to configure all the EZO stamps to be I2C (the Tentacle T3 doesn't support serial).

I use HiLetgo ESP-WROOM-32 ESP32 dev boards and I was able to communicate with the Tentacle T3 carrier board with the configuration above. I wrote my own code for this and thus wasn't using ESP Home but that should work too.

When I bought the Tentacle T3 carrier board my idea was to run HA on the Raspberry Pi and connect the sensors directly to the Pi. That didn't work out since HA runs in a container (similar to docker) and the containers do not have access to the physical hardware (so no I2C). I have since designed my own custom PCB that connects 5 Atlas EZO stamps directly to the HiLetgo ESP-WROOM-32 ESP32 dev board but what I have described above will work great, if you don't mind a few wires.

Anyone want to make me an offer on my Tentacle T3 carrier board? :)

BTW, here is a link to the PINOUT for Atlas Tentacle T3 carrier board: https://www.whiteboxes.ch/docs/tentacle ... I/#/pinout